Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ESPN DOWN GRADES BENGALS DUE TO HEAD COACH
(07-13-2017, 05:52 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Carson Palmer made a business decision which prolonged his career and got him closer to the SB than Mike Brown has been (not a huge accomplishment, granted).  You are putting way too much of your own feelings into this, but to each his own.  It's quite telling that Dalton has the chance to be the first franchise QB Mike Brown has ever had that doesn't end up demanding a trade.

Some folks say being a man is honoring your contracts.  Some might say being a man involves standing up for what you believe is right.  Marvin and Carson both wanted out after 2010 and Mike Brown wouldn't listen to either of them.  Carson gave up on Mike and moved on and Marvin gave up on Mike and stayed to coast out his career.  The fact that we are sitting here 6 seasons removed from 2010 and still complaining about Marvin Lewis speaks volumes, as well.  So, maybe Dalton is the kind of man who can play for a crap owner and HC his entire career, but that doesn't make him an automatic saint in my book.  
Again, to each his own.

Yep.  Two organizations that are leading the NFL in playoff win droughts have players losing faith in owners that are simply there to make money.  The owner has a right to do that if he/she wants and players have a right to "quit" on a losing mentality if they want, too.  Of course, we each have the right to see the people involved as we like.

Agree wholeheartedly with everything you say here.

One thing I'd like to add to the Marv/Andy dynamic.....I was having a few beers the other night with a college buddy that was in town from his new home in Katy, TX.  Yep, Andy's hometown.  He says you wouldn't believe the intensity of high school football in the area.  His high school stadium is just down the road from where my friend lives, and he says it rivals some college fields.  He was just talking about where he was living now, and out of the blue brings up ".....it's not like Andy Dalton isn't used to pressure situations in the bright lights."  We weren't even discussing Bengals football......

(07-14-2017, 08:16 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: And NFL players wonder why teams don't want to significantly front-load a contract or still have incentives in contracts....so this kind of situation doesn't happen.

I don't really remember hearing Palmer say he wanted to retire, but just that he didn't want to be here any longer.  And, judging by his play, he didn't really want to be a Raider.  Again, Kurt Warner:  Man.  Carson Palmer:  Quitter.  

I get your sentiment, I really do, but he said something to the effect that he would rather retire than play another down for the Bengals, and that's exactly what he did until the Raiders called.  He played pretty decent off the couch under Hue Jackson, then the wheels fell off and the team went to the toilet.  I think it's pretty telling of both the Raiders and Bengals that he had two of his best ever seasons (albeit one shortened by another knee) well into his thirties with nerve damage in his throwing shoulder and bum knees in Arizona under Arians.  What's that say about the other two organizations?  

I guess we just have differing viewpoints on this subject ol buddy, and there's nothing wrong with that. :andy:

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: ESPN DOWN GRADES BENGALS DUE TO HEAD COACH - Wyche'sWarrior - 07-14-2017, 10:44 AM