Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ESPN DOWN GRADES BENGALS DUE TO HEAD COACH
(07-15-2017, 12:29 PM)bfine32 Wrote: First, I already pointed out Boomer was not drafted under the MB era.

Secondly, no one is arguing Mike Brown's prowess as a GM/owner (If you are looking for someone to sing MB's praises you will have to look elsewhere). I just balked at the assertion that one could compare the Boomer situation to the Carson situation in an attempt to mitigate what CP9 did. It is an insult to Boomer

MB's first draft choice was Boomer's replacement. Boomer saw this and other regime changes and offered to move out of the picture. MB agreed to trade Boomer if he stayed one year to mentor Klingler; Boomer agreed.

This is nothing similar to the personal decision CP9 made. The team had drafted/signed to build around him and had no viable replacement on the squad.

Well, it's clearly not THE SAME, but it's pretty similar.  Carson didn't elect to be drafted by the Bengals any more than Boomer wanted to see Paul Brown kick the bucket and leave his son in charge.  Carson DID elect to sign a long-term contract here, but both Boomer and Carson had little to no faith in Mike Brown...which is the main point.

When Carson demanded the trade I recall many of the former player analysts giving him grief but Boomer sticking up for by saying that people who didn't have to play for Mike Brown didn't understand the whole situation.  I think the main thing is that Carson himself admitted that it was a selfish decision and that he "quit" but the real argument is whether or not that was a justified action.  

This article from 2011 sums up the feelings I have, really.

https://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/mccarthy/story/2011-11-06/carson-Palmer-nfl-week-9/51099024/1

Some highlights:

When Sharpe asked Palmer if he quit on his old Cincinnati Bengals teammates and the city with his position he'd rather retire than play in Cincinnati, Palmer made no bones that he did.

"It was a selfish decision. I knew what I was doing. I knew the ramifications. I knew that it was what was best for me and what was best for them."
Carson said he understands he'll "take heat for it" but it was "the right decision to be made."

"Let's not kid ourselves. He did quit on them," said ex-Pittsburgh Steelers coach [/url]Bill Cowher. "It worked out fine for Cincinnati. It worked out fine for Oakland. But you can't have your way and say, 'I don't want to play for you. I'm going to quit until you trade me.' It doesn't work that way."

But former Bengals QB Boomer Esiason and ex-Miami Dolphins star [url=http://content.usatoday.com/topics/topic/People/Athletes/NFL/Dan+Marino]Dan Marino
 defended the 31-year old Palmer.
Said Esiason: "I've been in those shoes and walked a mile in those shoes. They don't build statues for players in Cincinnati, I can tell you."
Added Marino: "You only have one career. He only has one career. He didn't want it to be in Cincinnati anymore."

Boomer's point that they don't build statues for players in Cincy goes along with the notion that Mike Brown just isn't interested in building and promoting the Bengal's brand, history, and image.  You can see that in fans, too.  How many former players do we actually hold in high regard?  Munoz, and we all love Anderson but the guy had to go to Pittsburgh to actually win something.  He's just built a culture that kills loyalty and longevity (unless you are one of two very mediocre coaches), but it's his brand to build.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: ESPN DOWN GRADES BENGALS DUE TO HEAD COACH - Nately120 - 07-15-2017, 02:42 PM