Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ESPN DOWN GRADES BENGALS DUE TO HEAD COACH
(07-21-2017, 11:46 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: As I said, they went to five consecutive playoff appearances with Dalton.  That is saying something.  You can make it a % and try to diminish where they are now versus where they were in the 90s, but the truth of the matter is, in 2005 they were good enough to win a Super Bowl, but Palmer got Kimo'd.  In 2015, they were good enough to win a Super Bowl, but Dalton got himself injured.  Had those two seasons ended with Championships, I'm sure you would be singing a very different tune.  I know, I know....if ifs and butts were sugar and nuts, I'd own a candy store.  The bottom line is:  They have been contenders almost every year since Marv took over...only one team wins it all....and the Bengals are at least in the race.  

The cheif rival argument is lame because the Bengals have similarly owned the ratbirds....And I HATE the steelers.  

I hear everything you are saying, Shake, and I respect you, but you are seriously not going to let the national media that loves to kick a team when they are down influence what you know it the truth:  This team should be revered for what their original coach and owner brought to the NFL, for the innovation of the Ohio River Offense, and the fact that this year, they will FINALLY step on the ($&#@ throats of their opponents and win the whole #$(&@@ thing. 

I respect you too, SHRacer. Always have. We just disagree here, and maybe I'm just more jaded, but constantly getting your hopes up, only to be let down time and again tends to have that effect on some. 

To your first paragraph, yes on the "if's and but's" part. If it were just 1 or 2 occurrences or excuses, then sure...but I can't excuse 7 playoff games. Something has to systematically be wrong in order for that to occur. Especially when we see the same problems each time. A dead offense. A defense that suddenly loses it's bite. Not being able to put together a full half of football.

There's just way too much evidence that Marvin is a serious issue. 

The chief rival argument isn't lame. We have a solid record against the Ravens, but we haven't owned them like the Steelers have owned us for 14 years running.

To your last paragraph, yes this team has a lot to be proud of from the 70's and 80's. I wish we could get back to that. I've never viewed these Marv teams to be serious contenders...and neither has the media outside of a couple exceptions where they were fooled. I hate PFT, but they had a point when they did our season preview (which was surprisingly fair). They pointed out our record from 2011-2015 as a reason we could bounce back, but said no one considered the Bengals a contender due to the 0-5 playoff record. They were right. Real contenders do better than that.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: ESPN DOWN GRADES BENGALS DUE TO HEAD COACH - Shake n Blake - 07-22-2017, 01:57 AM