Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A hidden thing that I like about this years team
So in the 90's and 2000's the AFC North was smash mouth football. You needed a power team.

The Bengals defense had some speed through the years, but the LB's were generally big and plodding. This was epitomized by Maualuga - who was a big run-thumper. They had a big less-than-mobile guy like Peko clogging the run. They'd have guys like Dansby, etc. In essence, our defense was built to compete in the AFC North of 10 years ago. The disadvantage was our team speed was lower and we couldn't cover TE's.

Traditional Bengals offenses would have 1 fast WR then a slower, bigger possession guy. A TE who could catch the ball. Then blocking TE's who they'd sub in on running plays. The RB's were generally power guys...with some being fast. Usually these guys would catch 20-30 balls a year.

Well the division changed. The Steelers pass the ball a lot and have a dynamic running back. The league is like this.

We now have more agile LB's that should cover passes better. The defense should get better pass rush. There is just a lot more speed.

On offense, Mixon should add more speed. Ross obviously will. Guys like Hill just didn't have the speed needed to go against fast defense.

In summary, we're more built to compete in the modern, speed-driven NFL.

Will it pay off in playoff success? I don't know. The coaches mindsets will have to change to utilize the speed. The players will have to make plays. The offensive line will need to hold up.

What I do know is that we are built more like the teams that have success.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
A hidden thing that I like about this years team - THE PISTONS - 07-25-2017, 01:01 PM