Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
BREAKING: Burfict suspension reduced
(08-31-2017, 01:55 PM)jowczarski Wrote: About to head to Indy so this is all I could get to as a reply. Thanks for reading/sharing all!

@phil413 – re: repeat offender/shouldn’t be an issue.
Well, it is until you’re off the repeat offender list. A suspension doesn’t clear you – time does. I heard it takes a full season (16 games) without incident, to get off that list and start from scratch. He had not played a full 16 games since the Brown suspension.

@CKwi88 – Re: unnecessary hit
I think it was, too. I may not think it violated the letter of the law re: defenseless, but it wasn’t necessary.

@EatonFan – re: Shazier hit on Gio
It was a legal hit per the NFL rules that year. They changed that rule the following offseason, so it is no longer legal.

1. So if Burfict can play 16 games without incident, his discipline level is reset? Interesting. Seems like a tall task with how much scrutiny he's receiving though.

2. Obviously whether or not it was "necessary" shouldn't factor into any discipline. He either broke a rule or he didn't.

3. It was never legal to spear a player in the face with your helmet. Maybe in the 70's, but certainly not any time recently. They let Shazier off on some obscure technicality (he didn't "line up" the hit) which was obviously open to interpretation, but the rules on spearing and helmet to helmet seem(ed) pretty clear to me. Don't do it. Whether or not Gio was a runner or if Shazier lined him up shouldn't have mattered, and tbh there's way too much grey area there.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: BREAKING: Burfict suspension reduced - Shake n Blake - 08-31-2017, 03:25 PM