Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
At what point will fans admit we're rebuilding?
(09-15-2017, 12:18 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Over the past 2 free agency periods we lost a bunch of experienced, quality starters.

1 ) Jones - Starting WR2
2 ) Sanu - Quality WR3
3 ) Nelson - Starting Safety and great against the pass
4 ) Whitworth - Starting LT, perennial Pro Bowl player, and Team Leader
5 ) Zeitler - Starting Guard - Nearing Pro Bowl caliber
6 ) Peko - Team leader and run stuffer
7 ) Maualuga - Run stuffing LB but terrible against the pass
8 ) Leon Hall - Good CB with experience who was used to cover mainly slot receivers his last year here.
9 ) Dansby
10 ) Lamur
11 ) Andre Smith when he was starting RT. (He came back as a backup G.) When he was our starting Tackle...he was pretty good.
12 ) Burkhead

The 1st wave of losses pushed us down to a 6.5 win team. Then we lost our 2 best offensive lineman this past offseason and so far are 0-2.

We don't really sign more than bargain bin free agents so these guys weren't replaced much there. Lafell was a good signing. Minter appears to be.

Then our drafts haven't been producing a lot of impact. In time they may, but they haven't produced enough impact to negate these losses.

Plain and simple we're rebuilding. On offense alone we need 4 starting caliber lineman. Possible a starting TE depending on Eifert. On defense, we may need upgrades at DT, DE, and LB.

Probably too many holes to fix in one offseason...especially since we only sign bargain bin free agents.

All these losses were not critical.  I am glad some of them were not brought back.
Jones.  It was rumored the bengals matched.  He chose to leave.
Sanu.  Overpaid gadget player.  Hasn't set Atlanta on fire.
Nelson.  Was still playing well.  Was still looking for a big contract.  We had resigned Iloka and Williams.    I don't have a problem with the decision.
Whitworth.  I would have tagged him for this year.  I think Mikey wasn't going to stand in his way of that contract.  It seems most on year didn't want whit resigned at that deal.
Zeitler was payed like the greatest guard ever.  He's not.  He went to a bad team with lots of cap space who overpayed to get him.
Peko was slow and getting almost no interior pressure.  Lots on here wanted him gone.
Rey. See Peko above, coverage liability.
Leon hall, meh.  Was a great player for us.  Age and injuries caught up.  No real loss IMHO 
Dansby.  Was a great player.  Wish we had him earlier.  Seemed a step slow last year.
Lamur.  Was this really a big loss?

Andre smith.  Didn't a lot of folks around here want him gone?  Didn't want him resigned?
Burkhead.  I like him.  Not for 3.5 mil.  Not with Gio here.

Signing only bargain bin outside free agents is an issue.  Scouting, developing and coaching seems to be an issue in some areas.  Looking at you paulie.  Head coaching, pfft.  Not to mention the brain drain we've had with coordinators.

The problems are at the uppermost levels of the organization.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: At what point will fans admit we're rebuilding? - BenZoo2 - 09-17-2017, 12:06 AM