Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vontez just needs an attitude adjustment
(12-06-2017, 10:58 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Did you never look at the clip of Burfict and the KC player?  He doesn’t even touch his helmet and drew a 3 game suspension.  Same rule I believe. You have to make contact in the front.

I'd explain that Bufict hits him from the side/behind vs JuJu and Burfict in a line going toward each other and Burfict getting hit in the chest...but really what could a Steelers fan say that and Bengals fan wouldn't think is tainted?

I mean not even the NFL could explain it to the Bengals.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2017/08/28/vontaze-burfict-says-his-hit-was-legal-the-nfl-strongly-believes-otherwise-whos-right/?utm_term=.d7f0d9be6a48

Quote:According to a person familiar with the NFL’s deliberations, the league believes that Burfict’s suspension is warranted under the new directive. It also believes that Burfict’s suspension would have been warranted even without the new measure given it was an illegal hit, in the NFL’s view, delivered by a player with a long history of on-field infractions. Discipline also might have been warranted based merely on the unnecessary roughness of the hit, in the league’s view. So, to the NFL, it was a straightforward decision and a relatively easy call.

Burfict also says the hit is legal.

“The rules say you can eliminate a receiver within five yards of the line of scrimmage as long as you don’t hit him in the head, and I don’t think I hit him in the head,” he told the Bengals’ website.
Burfict was not penalized during the game for the hit on Sherman, but that does not preclude the league from imposing discipline after reviewing the hit.
Sherman was cutting across the field while running a pass pattern. That makes him a defenseless player under NFL rules, and he cannot be hit in the head or neck area. Nor can the defender launch himself at a defenseless player or lower his head to deliver a blow with the crown of the helmet. Under the rules, a receiver running a pattern is a defenseless player “when the defender approaches from the side or behind” even when the football is thrown elsewhere and the receiver in question is not in the process of making a catch.

The ball was not thrown to Sherman. That does not affect his defenseless player status under the rules; Sherman still is protected by them. But given that Sherman was not involved in the play, it brings unnecessary roughness into the equation. The rules prohibit “unnecessarily running, diving into, cutting, or throwing the body against or on a player who is out of the play or should not have reasonably anticipated such contact by an opponent, before or after the ball is dead.”
The replay appears to show Burfict using his shoulder to hit Sherman primarily in the chest. It is not clear from the video publicly available if there also is contact to Sherman’s head or neck area. But the NFL determined that such contact took place, according to those familiar with the league’s review.

So what difference would it make?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Vontez just needs an attitude adjustment - GMDino - 12-07-2017, 12:23 AM