Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Angel on your shoulder--stupid mistakes
There were two things and one is even Bengal's related. On Halloween, 1989 I was driving home from a friend's house after we had gone together to the Dayton Oregon district and had way more than just a few. I was in a little French maid's outfit and had to go all the way from Hartwell to Owensville, where I lived at the time. I pulled onto the wrong frigging ramp of the Cross County Highway (which is now the Ronald Reagan expressway) and there was a cop coming from the other direction!

He was a young cop, no more than late 20's and he was from Mt. Orab, which is close to Owensville. Both things worked in my favor and I think it also impressed him I could walk a straight line in heels. He just said "Be very, very careful," because he must have known that I was loaded but was also scared sober, sort of, by him stopping me. Because that was a huge break, I decided to quit smoking cigarettes. It wasn't that difficult.

But luck runs out sooner or later. For the Bengal's first playoff game with Andy, which was Jan 7, 2012, I'd had three or four strong vodka cranberries by halftime. My friend who owned the house where I was living then (in California) got really mad because the garage door opener wouldn't work. She asked me to try to figure out what was wrong with it. I thought there would be a reset button on it I could try first.

Even though I'm tall, the reset button was on the garage door opener motor on the ceiling. I pushed a cooler over to it thinking I could just use it as a step stool. A little voice inside me said "you know, maybe you should get the step ladder from the shed," but I just brushed that off and climbed on top of the cooler to reach for the reset button. Well, the cooler had a rounded edge at the bottom. When one of my feet hit the side the cooler toppled over and I cartwheeled over and landed squarely onto my wrist.

The fall broke the radius bone of my wrist clearly in half. Because of the strong vodka cranberries I didn't feel it though. I had to call 911 for an ambulance to the hospital and though they set it there, I also had to have an orthopedic doctor do something called a "closed reduction" and pin it so it would heal right. Thankfully, I had CA Blue Shield insurance at the time and only had to pay about $300 out of pocket for that whole mess. Wow, did I learn though.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Angel on your shoulder--stupid mistakes - WiregrassBenGal - 11-25-2017, 12:36 PM