Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvin says it’s not his responsibility to motivate players
(12-12-2017, 05:21 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Well I have taken a few mental intelligence classes as a HRM and I agree with Marvin that it is not your job to motivate anyone. It is your job to set the framework for them to motivate themselves; as everyone is not motivated by the same thing. I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest Marvin understands the dynamic more that many experts in this forum that were "motivated" by their PeeWee coach with Ice Cream after the game.

What do we think Marvin should do to "motivate" a millionaire getting paid to play a game if that player cannot motivate themselves?

It's easy. I guarantee Mike Tomlin knows how to motivate his players, this guy is a straight up dawg.

"Is Antonio better than you?" - to AJ
Mixon created self motivation by talking trash in the media about Bell.
Gio ran better than ever when Mixon got hurt, why, because he wants his job back.
But not everyone can create that motivation themselves, Marvin should have pushed it, and he didn't, he doesn't know how. It's an honest thing to say that if you perform better, you get hte job, so it's easy to tell Gio "go get your job back." But as I like to say, where there's money, there are liars - so there's no honesty going around in this league.

Not everyone is motivated by money, everyone is motivated by something "else", but there is no "atmosphere" for them to be motivated - Marvin has to do that himself! The coach is responsible for firing people up. Jordan and Kobe made shit up to motivate them, some people need that extra spice.

Think about why we played so well against the Steelers in the 1st half, they are clearly a better team. This team has lacked motivation for 3-4 years, it has always been their biggest problem. Marvin is the worst motivator, we could see that from the outside, and now he admits it. We have the perfect combination of personality traits that allows lack of motivation to occur. Andy is too damn nice. When do we see him get into a player's face? It matters when you're the leader, you don't have to be mr. mean guy but mr. nice guy rarely finishes first. Leaders set the tone (for better or worse).

Motivation comes in a lot of colors. There is no penalty for performing poorly, then why would some be motivated to perform well? Some do take that into account.

For example, in my current job I can work 80 hours a week but I really have no personal benefit for producing fast (timeline wise). I'm going to release a product that will make hundreds of millions, but I won't likely see a dime other than my typical salary. That stops me for a second before I forget about it and keep working hard, but everyone is different. Many fold once the money comes in, they have to be jousted in some way.

Everything ties in to why we perform poorly when needed. Nobody drives motivation, there's no penalty for being unmotivated, there's no penalty for performing poorly, there's no reason to make half time adjustments (and no capability, since nobody cares that they're getting owned one way or another), it doesn't really matter if we win or lose (it's just a game!).

A long time ago I was on anxiety meds, it made me not care about the outcome of anything. I didn't care if I did a good job, or bad job, I was even keel. Marvin Lewis had the whole team on Zoloft.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Marvin says it’s not his responsibility to motivate players - reuben.ahmed - 12-17-2017, 12:52 PM