Poll: Percentage chance the Bengals win a Playoff game in either of the next 2 seasons. (2018 & 2019)
100% chance they pull it off
76-99% chance
51-75% chance
50/50
26-49% chance
1-25% chance
0% chance they pull it off
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The "Low Bar" of success & what it will mean for Marvin & Mike if they Jump over it
(01-11-2018, 11:42 AM)bengals67 Wrote: I truly don't know how anyone could answer this question at a level higher than 1 to 25% and that is optimistic.

I think someone pointed out that in 50 years the Bengals have won a playoff game in only 3 of 50 - and all three years when Paul Brown was alive.

What is Marv's record in big time games over the last 15 years?

What are the odds we lose two games to the Steelers next year is a better question. I would say at least 75% or higher.

Not one single thing has changed with the Bengals so far.  We have seen this show over and over and over.

1 to 25% has nearly half of the Votes so far.   (12 of 25 votes for 48%)

Fans perceiving that there is at least "somewhat of a chance" is a Public Relations success for the Bengals.

Press Conferences about each new Assistant and quotes from Marvin & others about how they will tweak Free Agency etc get written up by Local Sports media writers and Radio/TV personalities discuss them. Fans slowly accept these so called changes as being a turning over of a new leaf.

Then comes Free Agency itself (which may or may not be much better than prior years). Even if Free Agency is not tweaked in a positive way as suggested by Marvin, the Bengals can still count on the Draft raising Fan interest and confidence in having at least a chance of winning.

All of this helps keep the Business side of things profitable because enough fans will buy back in to the concept of maybe winning.

Another reload for another try.

Being in a position to "almost" win a few of those past Playoff games actually serves as a feather in the Bengal Organization's cap by giving fans a sense of Hope that Mike & Marvin were razor close to winning a Playoff game a couple of times. Especially had Palmer/Dalton been healthy in 2005/2015. The two Peaks (so far) of Mike & Marvin's tenure together. The highest level so far of their football Aptitude.

Just enough positives to make fans think that they could actually pull it off. Win a Playoff game.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: The "Low Bar" of success & what it will mean for Marvin & Mike i... - depthchart - 01-11-2018, 12:19 PM