Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'It’s time for the Bengals to alter their offseason mindset.'
(01-16-2018, 03:52 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: That's sort of the quandry though. How are you going to know how much an upper tier, higher paid free agent may impact/improve your team if you never roll the dice to find out? 

I do think you have to be smart about it as well, taking into account how big the need is at the position, how well the player fits  your scheme, whether the player was productive over a period of time and not just a contract year, injury history and other factors.

Free agency is always a gamble to a certain extent, but after 27 years without a single playoff win, I think it's about time they took that gamble. 

Well, common sense has to play a part in the decision making process as well.  For example, when a team like the Pats or Broncos spent huge money on a key FA, en route to a run to the Superbowl, it was because their team was great, and they felt like they were just one or two players away from being complete.  We look back at them and say "smart business decisions".

On the other hand, when a team like Cleveland makes a Kevin Zeitler the highest paid Guard in the league, and still rolls on to 0-16, it's kind of a head scratcher.  A couple other teams also come to mind as being memorable for spending big, yet still coming out losers are the Dolphins and Redskins before that.

Likely the best model of Free Agent spending that paid off this year, would have to be Jacksonville. Probably doesn't hurt that they've drafted well in recent years, and have a smart man at GM (Coughlin).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: 'It’s time for the Bengals to alter their offseason mindset.' - SunsetBengal - 01-16-2018, 04:26 PM