Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'It’s time for the Bengals to alter their offseason mindset.'
(01-16-2018, 03:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I wonder why this story does not mention any of the really terrible teams that also signed big name free agents? If signing expensive free agents was all it took to be good then every team in the league would be good. That being said, I also wish the Bengals would be more active in free agency. I just always find it funny how people who support signing big name free agents ignore the fact that as many bust as work out.

I also find it amazing that we drafted McCarron without even looking at any QB prospects. That was quite a gamble!

Because the article wasn't an analysis of free agency, it's what he wants to see from the this free agency period.

(01-16-2018, 03:41 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: While I whole heartedly agree that the Bengals could do more in free agency, I'm also not wanting to see money wasted on huge contracts that don't result in improving the team.

Just as in all things, moderation is key.

Indeed. Don't have to be the biggest spenders. But quite scrapin the bottom of the barrel.

(01-16-2018, 03:41 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If a team is always looking "long term" then the Bengals approach is not that bad.  But once a team gets close to contending they have to take a chance on a free agent or two.

Teams re-sign their best players so the free agents are usually not the best players in the league.  However a player does not have to be the best at his position in the league to get paid like that.  All he has to be is the best free agent available at his position and he will get paid like the best.  So free agents are almost always over priced, and they often are complete flops when they have to play in a different scheme for a different team.

But even though free agents are over priced it is almost impossible to fill every spot on a team with draft picks alone.  If a team is desperate to fill one specific position in the draft they have to reach over a lot of higher ranked players to draft the best available at their position of need.

So the best tactic is to build through the draft until you are just one or two players away from contending and then take some chances in free agency.

Always looking long term causes you to miss out on the present. They should be exploring all options to improve their chances, not just the cheap ones. And some teams have to let good players go on occasion for numerous reasons.

Whatever the bengals are doing its obviously not the best tactic.

(01-16-2018, 04:03 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I would like to add that Bengals should not be afraid of cutting underperforming vets, especially those who are in the final year of their contracts with no dead cap if cut. That would help open funds to address actual needs and therefore open the draft too.

Indeed. I doubt Mikey changes this stripe.

(01-16-2018, 04:16 PM)bengals67 Wrote: cant we just try for once signing a really high quality free agent after his first contract and before they are over the hill.

Or keep guys who perform who we drafted like Zietler. Didn't he make the pro bowl this year?

Did Dre K make the pro bowl- the guy we spent the money on instead of Whit or Z despite having  two other first round CBs and a couple of other deceit CBs to cover if he left.

Agreed. Doubt Mikey changes this stripe too.

(01-16-2018, 04:28 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Some thought on Hob's about the o-line, draft and extensions. Seems like he's already tempering the free agency expectations:

No question they’ll use a raft of picks on the offensive line. Probably not at No. 12. From what I’m hearing early on that’s a deep position in rounds two to four and with an extra third you could easily see them coming out of the first two days with possibly two O-linemen.  I think the Bengals are going to go through due diligence in free agency and look for line upgrades, but I also don’t see them straying far from their philosophy.

They’ve already got their eyes on a pair of huge deals in free agency and they’re named Geno Atkins and Carlos Dunlap, two of the league’s top defensive linemen heading into their contract years. They’d like/need to get them done now and, yes, they’ll also pursue re-signing a tight end, too. But it’s probably going to be Tyler Kroft and not Tyler Eifert, although they may look at some kind of a reduced deal with Eifert given he’s in another offseason of rehab.

And don’t they have to re-sign right tackle Andre Smith? He really bailed them out at tackle when both Cedric Ogbuehi and Jake Fisher struggled. So with Atkins, Dunlap, Kroft, and Smith theoretically getting extended, they’re going to have to find a guy that fits in that salary structure. The guy they’re expected to lose in free agency is running back Jeremy Hill and Eifert is going to be interesting. If somebody throws big money at him, but it’s most likely not the Bengals.

And here's the we aren't really going to change much as we have upcoming contracts and need to keep 20 mil under the cap for rookies and injuries
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: 'It’s time for the Bengals to alter their offseason mindset.' - BenZoo2 - 01-16-2018, 10:40 PM