Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'It’s time for the Bengals to alter their offseason mindset.'
(01-17-2018, 12:53 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Williams has been a Bengal for 5 seasons.  He has failed to develop into anything more than average, when he's healthy.  This is what people are talking about, when they complain about the Bengals putting too much value into players simply because they drafted them.

You are proposing that Vigil, Ogbuehi, Nickerson, Ericson, and Hopkins should all be allowed to take up a roster spot simply because they are cheap?  That is still feeding into the existing offseason mentality that many of us would like to see change.  By that logic, the Bengals should just as easily roll the dice with some new stock, those spots can just as easily be filled by other late round picks and UDFAs.

If MJ, Hopkins, Williams, LaFell, Jones, Vigil, Ogbuehi, Ericson, and Nickerson are all cut, that's nine spots the Bengals would have to replace. Add in Minter, Sims, Bodine, Hill, Winston, Huber, Eifert, Andre, and Chris Smith, and you're talking about nine more. That totals 18 players.
At best, you'll see the Bengals get 10 draft picks (unless they trade back to acquire more).
Say all 10 make the roster, that's still eight spots available.
The Bengals will not sign eight new FAs, let alone all of them being better than what they have.

I don't mind guys like Hopkins and Vigil being depth. They just are poor starters. The big thing (for me anyway) is freeing up the cap hogs who are underperformers like the three I mentioned. You can't replace everyone in one offseason, so you have to identify a select few to start with and add new faces over a few years.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: 'It’s time for the Bengals to alter their offseason mindset.' - ochocincos - 01-17-2018, 01:01 PM