Thread Rating:
  • 18 Vote(s) - 3.83 Average
Political Comics, Memes, Jokes, etc.
(01-24-2022, 02:35 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: It's endlessly amusing to me that you think pontificating and endless repetition is a strategy for a compelling argument.  I read it the way it was written.  The only person claiming prescience over the author's intent is you.  

Your amusement is no refutation of my points, which advance an argument incrementally, with each new post.  

You have often had difficulty discerning the structure of an argument. And when you cannot discern that structure--the premises, inference, and conclusion, you cannot respond to it as an argument. E.g., explain why the meme raises the question of who is using the "example" of King and for what purpose. 

Or you can see it and ignore it, call it something else. "Endless repetition"--as if you'd already addressed the argument rather than simply repeated the logically inconsistent claim that reading figural language literally is reading it "as written." 

It's true I'm making a claim about what the author meant, or could have meant.
E.g., when I read figural language as figural--following an author's intention, as signalled in the meme.

But when you chastise the author/Dino for the strawman you construct, you too are absolutely making a claim about its author's intention, while taking pains to exclude any contextualization which would cancel the more aggrieved meaning you want. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Political Comics, Memes, Jokes, etc. - Dill - 01-24-2022, 03:55 PM
Polish terrorist attack - StLucieBengal - 04-17-2018, 01:59 AM
RE: Polish terrorist attack - GMDino - 04-17-2018, 09:05 AM