Thread Rating:
  • 18 Vote(s) - 3.83 Average
Political Comics, Memes, Jokes, etc.
(02-24-2017, 01:00 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Doubts do not equal proof. Like I said, i don't believe it's any more accurate than you do, but you can't just say "it's not true" and expect that YOUR claim overrules someone else's claim when neither of you provides proof. And, yes, he made the claim so it's incumbent upon him to provide it, but, IMO, you can't just claim something is wrong without providing evidence yourself. 

Then if Dino claims there are 13,000 Marines on the far side of the moon and you claim there are not, what is a poor bystander like myself to do?

It is incumbent upon Dino to provide proof, but then you can't just overrule Dino without providing evidence.  How can I know which claim is true? 

Wait! Maybe there is another way. Perhaps I could consider the likelihood of an unsupported claim being true or false. I don't know how anyone could get 13,000 Marines on the moon (we don't have the technology) or why anyone would put them there. Maybe I can accept your claim your claim as likely true. Even if you don't provide a link.

Same applies to this White House Marine meme. Thoughtful questions might help us over the hump here.

How likely is it that among the thousands of African-American Marines who voted for Obama, none would have been proud to serve WH detail?  No Marine has family in the DC area and would like to get a post nearby? Anything but the WH for 8 years?

What might be the motivation for the claim?  What is the likelihood that some political operative, knowing a certain demographic's thirst for any "fact" that fits its worldview, might just make up crazy stats knowing they will fit that demographic's desired belief?  I hear it has been done before.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Political Comics, Memes, Jokes, etc. - Dill - 02-25-2017, 06:06 PM
Polish terrorist attack - StLucieBengal - 04-17-2018, 01:59 AM
RE: Polish terrorist attack - GMDino - 04-17-2018, 09:05 AM