Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
New England Offensive Line: Mind Blown!
Say what you want and go ahead and believe it's all on the up and up, but Brady gets more than just a little bit of help via zebratic intervention. 
I'm going with Brian Tuohy's take on things.. There's a lot of stuff Brian and myself disagree with, but this ain't one of them. 
http://www.thefixisin.net/nfl2017.html

Quote:But then there was the AFC Conference Championship Game between the Jaguars and Patriots. NFL fans didn't seem overly happy that the first person to congratulate Tom Brady once the game had ended was the head referee:
Quote:
But given that the Patriots had one -- count 'em -- one penalty called against them (and on a kickoff return, no less), perhaps he should've been.

How much does 10 yards or 20 yards matter in a four point game (NE won 24-20)? Well, how about 88 yards? Because that was the difference in penalty yards assessed: NE 1-for-10, JAX 6-for-98. Two of the Jaguars' penalties helped New England cut the score from 14-3 to 14-10 near the end of the first half.

Two major non-calls by the refs also tinkered with the outcome. The first was the quick whistle on the Miles Jack fumble recovery which would've been a TD had the refs not immediately ruled him down by contact (which also made the play non-reviewable):

The second was the non-pass interference call on a late-game fourth down pass play by Jacksonville which, if called, would've kept the Jags hope alive.

For good measure, you could throw in a non-call on a Danny Amendola headbutt on the Jags Tashaun Gipson which officials saw, but decided wasn't "flagrant" enough to throw a flag on. This caused the Jags AJ Bouye to say post-game, “I was pissed because I seen Amendola head-butt the hell out of Gip in front of the ref and you all don’t call nothing? It don’t make no sense man; it’s a lot of stuff that don’t make no sense. I have a lot of respect for these people in this locker room. They kept fighting, we all kept fighting. We knew there was stuff we couldn’t control and we kept it close.”

There's some historical weirdness to the officials' penalty calling in this game. For one, the Patriots getting only one penalty called against them all game was the first time that had happened in the playoffs since 2011 -- when the Patriots also were called just once for a penalty in a victory over the Ravens. Secondly, the Jags were called for defensive pass interference five times all season, yet were called for it twice in this game. In fact, the Jags defense was only flagged nine times total all season. In other words, if any team should've been penalty free, statisically speaking, it should've been Jacksonville. Instead, it was just the opposite
You can click on the link for the graphics if you want..
I chalk it down to Ripleys Believe it or not.. The league has become a real odditorium for sure..
Oddly enough I'll keep watching the National Fixed League or call it the National Fiction League.. Either one works for me. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: New England Offensive Line: Mind Blown! - grampahol - 01-23-2018, 01:09 PM