Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do Rock Gods exist in today’s music?
(01-30-2018, 09:54 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: Honestly, I can’t think of one. Unlike Rock of the past where Rock Gods were every where, I’m struggling to find one in today’s music.

To me, there’s a difference between the status of Rock God & Rock Star. There’s plenty of Rock Stars like Dave Grohl or Kid Rock (I just threw up in my mouth a little bit typing that).

I’d say all the members of Metallica are Gods as is Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam & maybe Flea & Anthony K of RHCP. But all of those guys couldn’t be considered contemporary, although they’re all still (somewhat) active.

So, are Rock Gods still being born, or are they a dead breed?

I've thought about this before, and I'm not sure.  I look at the big festival headliners these days and am not overly inspired.  I like some of the newer bands, but there just aren't any that reach the status of a Jagger or Rose or Springsteen.  There aren't really even any Vedders or Reznors, to be honest.

I think electronic music and rap are the big draws these days, and that's had an effect.  Rap, particularly the modern styles, isn't my thing, but I think those guys are the modern versions of the old rock stars in terms of notoriety and personality.   It's going to be strange when the old timers pass.  They will become a dying breed sooner than we'd like to think.

I can't imagine being alive back in the 60's or 70s when you had dozens of legit ones running around and making music at the same time.  Some bands had 3 or 4 of them by themselves.  

There may indeed be guys in rock bands who are just as talented as the old icons, but they probably don't have the same audience that they once did.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Do Rock Gods exist in today’s music? - samhain - 01-30-2018, 11:19 PM