Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Are The Steelers Good or Just Lucky?
(02-16-2018, 04:32 PM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: There you go again imagining an argument that I'm not making.  I have never argued that the Steelers would have absolutely won that game.  I'm arguing that it's not a foregone conclusion that they would've lost.  I concede that it is entirely probable that Carson's presence would've led to a Bengal victory.  But even some of your fellow Bengal fans in here have pointed out that it wouldn't have been a guarantee.  Barring injury, it was a pretty even matchup.  Any rational person would understand that point.  

But, because you refuse to accept reality, you have to pretend that I'm arguing something more ridiculous (like a definite victory) so that you can feel like you're "winning" the argument.    
False.  

Scoring a TD on the opening drive, along with the high-powered, up-tempo offense that Palmer led would have had us smoking you.  We hadn't lost a game that season when we scored a touchdown before the other team.

Being at home with the energy of the crowd and the team fired up means that it's not a foregone conclusion that we'd win, but it was pretty probable.  

However, all that aside, you're admitting that it's not a given that they win, but you don't think it was lucky for them that Carson went down?

(02-16-2018, 04:32 PM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: As for your rebuttals to my examples:

Jacksonville: So your point is that a team that was down by only 10 halfway through the third quarter wasn't really that motivated to score a touchdown from the 21 just because they were on the road?  Seriously? 

Not ANYWHERE near the same amount of momentum as that big of a play on the first offensive play and then scoring, especially on the road.

Have you ever seen an offense come out on the field after a fumble?  Typically, they're not all jumping up and down and celebrating, especially not on the road, and it doesn't lead to a lot of momentum.

(02-16-2018, 04:32 PM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: Tennessee: So, if the Steelers do something good (like a 100 yard pick-six), they're "lucky", but if the Bengals do stupid things crucial situations (like commit two penalties from the opponent's 5 yard line) it's what ... bad luck?  What difference does it make that it was a penalty?  How does that excuse the failure in that situation? 

Stupid plays by the Bengals, but not common to happen that they'd commit a delay of game at home and unlikely that they'd commit a holding penalty.

(02-16-2018, 04:32 PM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: Cleveland: you are factually incorrect.  The Bengals were losing that game 14-7 at that point.  Look it up (scroll down to get the play-by-play list: Johnson's run occurred at the 10:37 mark of the second quarter and the field goal at 7:42). They ultimately won a close game, but to argue that they weren't really motivated to score a TD from the 5 in that situation is pure foolishness.  

False start penalty backed them up 5, which would be unlikely to happen again in the Pit game.

(02-16-2018, 04:32 PM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: In any case, you can't just throw away these examples because they weren't against the Steelers in the playoffs.  Motivation can add a little extra "oompf", but to suggest that a professional team puts forth less effort to defeat non-rivals, as you are doing here, is just silly.  You will reach for any argument to make your case, regardless of whether it makes sense or not.  Bengal Hawk was right - it's comedy gold to watch you pull nonsense out of your butt.  

I judge off probabilities, you just make judgements because "it's the Steelers, so it would have gone there way, no matter how improbable.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Are The Steelers Good or Just Lucky? - BFritz21 - 02-16-2018, 06:58 PM