Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
McCarron wins grievance, will be UFA
PS Not really just Bengals related, but more NFL related. I think it's absolute garbage that the 5th year option is there at all. The moment rookie deals took an enormous plunge it should have went away. I can maybe understand having the ability to excise that with first rounders,the guys who are making some coin. But these guys drafted later, whether they're injured or not, whether they start, don't start, whatever, don't deserve having the rights potentially controlled that long, by a team that's paying them in 300k -900k range. If you want these guys another year teams should have to franchise tag them like everyone else.

To each their own, I just think it would have been terribly unfair to make him come back another year. Some of these guys are 22-23 years old when they come out. Couple that either or both their draft position and the average length of career, and it's just seems kind of wild to me. Guys rides pine for 5 years, makes peanuts compared to what no-name vets make, and hits free agency at 27 or 28. For most guys, and especially guys drafted where he was, that's a career.

Everything else aside, I'm just glad the guy is getting his chance. I was glad to see the decision. Always seemed like a good kid, and I he's deserving of a shot, from someone. So let him go try. If we really wanted him, we either would have played him or locked him up long-term. Or both. But we did neither, which is ok, but just means to me that we had no right dictating his future beyond the already generous 4 years that the rookie deal allows.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: McCarron wins grievance, will be UFA - Wes Mantooth - 02-16-2018, 02:41 AM