Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are Schools Too Protective Of Kids?
(02-19-2018, 02:19 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Brad.  

How do you know how teachers are trained?

How do you know how they are treated in schools compared to other children?

Do you have any training at all in childhood development?

How do you know how many 504 plans are followed. How do you know the one for this child was not being followed?

Do you have any idea what limits are needed for children with autism?  Or are you saying that children with autism need NO special treatment at all?

Seems to me that you interacted for 10 minutes with an autistic child and now believe that you know more about autism than people who have been studying it as part of their professional career.  Like I said before.  you are like some guy who plays catch with a terminally ill child for ten minutes and then claim that the doctors are all stupid because you can tell there is nothing wrong with the child.  

You have never raised a child with autism and you have no training or education regarding how to deal with children with autism.  You have no clue what you are talking about.
Fred,

I know that they're all trained a certain way and it's to protect kids and to protect them, which is good but sometimes it prevents kids from reaching their full potential, as was obvious in this case.

Because I have been in many schools and seen it, as I saw in this case.  I also have a good friend that I dated as recently as this year that has a son with autism.  She babies him too much, also, as I have pointed out to her, to the point where he gets upset and cries at anything.  Case-in-point: I was in the back of my crippled van and he was in the front.  You need to open the ramp door with a button, otherwise the entire thing gets screwed up, so when he got out of the front to open the door, I started freaking out and yelling not to (not in a mean way, just urgent), and he pulled it open and saw me yelling and started crying.  He was in 8th grade.  However, I also kept building his confidence and trying to get him to play football, which he did and now he has friends that he sits with at lunch.  Point is that she's exactly like these teachers I was mentioning (and she also worked in schools with children with special needs), and was too overprotective.

Nope, but I do have common sense and I am able to see problems and evaluate situations.

The 504 plan might be being followed, but my point is that they're all written to protect children and to just "let them get by," rather than enabling them to succeed.  They're all too protective, as grampahol points out below.  

Do you know that every child with autisms is different and some can do loads more than others?  That's my point in that you, like teachers, are lumping them all together.  I have seen this video on YouTube of a dad talking with a son with autism and some of the things he says make absolutely no sense, whereas you could talk with my friend's son that I mentioned and you might not know that he has anything wrong with him, which I wouldn't have but she told me about it early on and I saw how she babies him, and I could see slight signs, and then there's this girl from the other day who was just labeled like that but didn't need it.  You're proving my point.

Like I said, I've been to many schools and talked with many children who are labeled a certain way, many with autism.  The teacher said that this student couldn't perform the tasks that I did and I saw that she could, which she did better than perfectly, so, like I said, they are trained wrong if the training tells them that all students with autism can't do that,

You're labeling them all, just as teachers do, so I'm right and I appreciate you pointing it out.

ThumbsUp

(02-19-2018, 02:42 PM)grampahol Wrote: I grew up in a time when there were two types of kids period, The 'normal kid's' and the kids who rode the small bus. I really struggled as a kid with math and reading, but back then if you struggled with certain subjects and fell behind the rest of the class you were simply labeled as lazy with no excuses.. Today's world is quite different with a heavy emphasis on mental health or lack thereof. Kids still get lumped into these groups and for many kids it's nearly impossible to escape a label slapped on them early on.
When my son was in school he got slapped with the dreaded learning disability label and set up for years of scholastic failure so much that as far as I'm concerned the school taught him little to nothing to prepare him for the real world. By the time he dropped out of school in 9th grade he couldn't write much more than his own name,  but he's persevereand and can now read and write well enough to earn a living,  but the school completely failed him.
He dropped out for the same reason I did. The school was completely wasting his time.
Looking back at high school myself I dropped out because my last year of school I was stuck in one remedial math class with an old woman who had given up on the idea of actually teaching and the rest of my entire school day consisted of study hall, period, end of story. Had I stuck around to get all the required credits for graduation I'd still be in 10th grade at 58..  Instead I dropped out and attended night school and scored in the top .03 percent on the GED test in the state of Ohio because I found a wonderful teacher who knew how to teach and who cared enough about his students to take the time to get us caught up with the subjects.
As it currently stands we have more than enough people who think that every problem every kid ever has can be fixed or solved with some kind of psychotropic medication and even more adults buying into the same nonsense.
I have ZERO faith in the approach of handing out psychotropic medication for anyone who ever thinks that they are depressed about just about anything..
I used to buy into that kind of thinking, but after years of abusive people in positions of authority, especially in the field of psychology I wouldn't trust those hacks and charlitains any more than I'd trust a bank robber to look after my financial affairs and I DEFINITELY wouldn't trust an underpaid teacher to evaluate my kids mental health.

I think you did the right thing Brad when you gave a kid the chance to prove herself every bit as valuable as every other kid in the class.
As far as over protected, if anything they're underprotected from hacks and charlitains pretending to know didly squat about mental health.

That's exactly what I'm saying.

These teachers come in and think they know everything because they've been trained, but they just label kids and put them all in one category which holds them back from reaching their full potential, but people like Fred think they have the answers to it all when, in actuality, you need to give kids the tools they need and let them succeed and flourish.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Are Schools Too Protective Of Kids? - BFritz21 - 02-19-2018, 04:42 PM