Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are Schools Too Protective Of Kids?
(02-19-2018, 04:42 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Fred,

I know that they're all trained a certain way and it's to protect kids and to protect them, which is good but sometimes it prevents kids from reaching their full potential, as was obvious in this case.

You have no idea how teachers are trained to deal with autistic children.  HBow could you possibly know this?

(02-19-2018, 04:42 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Because I have been in many schools and seen it, as I saw in this case. 

What exactly did you see in this case?  You saw how one teacher advised you about one student.  When you are in aschool you don't observe them in classrooms.  You can't tell which children are autistic and which ones are not.  You did not even know what a 504 plan was before this thread.

(02-19-2018, 04:42 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I started freaking out and yelling not to (not in a mean way, just urgent), and he pulled it open and saw me yelling and started crying.  He was in 8th grade.

And this could have been exactly what the teacher was trying to protect this girl from.  Maybe the teacher was familiar with your high failure rate with picking assistants and advisiing them on how to help you.

(02-19-2018, 04:42 PM)BFritz21 Wrote:     The 504 plan might be being followed, but my point is that they're all written to protect children and to just "let them get by," rather than enabling them to succeed.  They're all too protective,

Except they are not.  This is a complete lie.  Each plan is different based on the individual child.  And they try to challenge the students while taking into account their disabilities.  You are just making stuff up out of thin air.  You don't have any clue what you are talking about.

If every 504 plan was exactly the same then why would they work with each individual child to come up with a specific plan?  If they were going to lump them all together and treat them all the same then they would have no use for 504 plans.

(02-19-2018, 04:42 PM)BFritz21 Wrote:    Do you know that every child with autisms is different and some can do loads more than others?  That's my point in that you, like teachers, are lumping them all together.

Yes I know this.  And anyone who has ever been trained in childhood development knows this also.  That is why they have individual 504 plans.

The fact that you keep accusing me of lumping them all together proves that you have no clue what you are talking about.  I understand that they are all individuals with different levels of disability.  How can you accuse me of something when I repeatly explain how I am in favor of treating them all as individuals?
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Are Schools Too Protective Of Kids? - fredtoast - 02-19-2018, 05:06 PM