Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does Burfict suspension change draft
Not really.
I think our top priorities going into the draft are:

1. Center
Obviously, as the only one on the roster is TJ Johnson, unless they think Westerman can take over.

2. Offensive Guard
They only have Boling, Redmonds, Hopkins and Westerman. That's 1 starter and 3 backups unless they believe in Westerman or Redmond taking the next step. Hopkins showed he wasn't all that great last season. Plus, Boling is the best LT we had last season, so he may need to slide out, leaving OG even thinner.

3. Outside Linebacker
The starters, Vigil and Burfict, are both iffy in regards to either their availability(Burfict) or their...goodness (Vigil) and their only back ups, Evans and Rey, have their own set of concerns.

4. Offensive Tackle
Glenn is coming off of an injury, so you never know. Fisher is....acceptable at RT, but we could probably get an upgrade. Plus, he's coming off of an injury of his own. This would be #1 or #2, but Boling showed he is more than capable of stepping in at tackle, so that pushed OG up and OT down a bit for me. Especially since there aren't a lot of high quality tackles in this draft

5. Defensive End
Only 4 currently on the roster, one of which is Michael Johnson and may be cut. Dunlap's contract is expiring, so maybe only Lawson and Willis remain after this season.

6. Inside Linebacker
Preston Brown is rock solid, though unspectacular, at MLB. He is a signal caller who is durable and reliable. That said, he's only on a 1 year contract and his back up, Rey, is dubious in terms of age and talent. Prior to the Brown signing, this was priority #2 in my book.

Burfict not being around for 4 games doesn't make our Offensive Line suddenly not a terrifying prospect in its own right.

We basically have to draft for need, assuming some modicum of value is there. We need an OG to compete for RG or take over LG if Boling has to play LT (If Glenn is injured) or RT (If Fisher is Fisher). We need a new starting Center because we currently don't have one on the roster, unless you count Johnson (I can barely count him). We need a Right Tackle prospect in case Fisher flops once again, either due to health or talent. So at least 2 of our first 3 picks should be offensive line.

Then we can start to worry about possibly finding an eventual starter at one of the LB positions. And, after that, we can add depth at defensive end.

The good news is I think we're good at WR, RB, TE, QB, DT, safety and CB.

So it's basically just fixing the lines and fixing LB depth as well as adding any potential value at any position later in the draft (depending on who falls).

My ideal order would be (assuming value at these points in the draft):
1. Center
2. LB
3. OG
3b. OT
4. DE
5. DT

We can do this! Big Grin
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Does Burfict suspension change draft - CJD - 03-19-2018, 01:59 PM