Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teryl Austin has coached in three Super Bowls.
(04-02-2018, 02:20 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: As long as he isn't fond of Chuck Brenshan impressions like Guenther occasionally was, I'll be quite happy with Austin.

This.  I have always thought the Bengals invested a great deal of resources in the secondary (especially the CB position) and wasted it playing off-coverage or zone.  A lot of lesser talent CBs could do what is often asked of our CBs, so why waste so many first round picks on them?  

If the Bengals had a more aggressive scheme, I think our secondary would have a lot more opportunities to jump routes and create turnovers.  They are simply asked to cover for too long.  I am not saying to blitz every down, but it seems as though we are one of the least frequent blitzing teams in the NFL and we see opposing QBs pat the ball, pat the ball, check it down for an easy first down.  

Maybe they haven't had the personnel to do more blitz packages, but I really liked what I saw in our safeties the few times they blitzed.  Maybe this is a place Shaq Griffin could also contribute.  He may not be the biggest guy, but he sure has a nose for the QB coming off the edge.  

Regardless, my hope for Austin is that he plays aggressive and doesn't allow opposing QBs to get comfortable.  I can't imagine that playing such a conservative scheme fires up the players in a way to get the most out of them.  They are paid professionals, yes, but they are also human beings and would probably play better if they enjoyed what they were doing.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Teryl Austin has coached in three Super Bowls. - SHRacerX - 04-04-2018, 08:05 AM