Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AD better deep ball than u think
(04-08-2018, 01:16 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The joke is trying to twist it as if I were saying Dalton = Brady as a QB. I know how this works though. If I bring up the best QB's to show that Dalton is hanging with them in the deep ball department, you claim it's ridiculous to compare Dalton to Brady/Ben/Rodgers, etc. But if I bring up some average or trash QB's for comparison, you'd say that Dalton should be better than those guys. Kinda silly, don't ya think? 

Btw, Dalton completed 9 passes exceeding 30+ yards to WR's and TE's not named AJ Green in 2016. This included:

86 yarder to Brandon LaFell
71 yarder to Tyler Eifert
54 yarder to CJ Uzomah
50 yarder to Cody Core
49 yarder to Brandon LaFell
44 yarder to Brandon LaFell
44 yarder to Brandon LaFell
31 yarder to Cody Core
30 yarder to Tyler Boyd

Funny thing is, I was hesitant to include the 21-30 yard category, because I know after years of doing these little debates that Dalton kinda sucks in that range. He actually shines much brighter from 31+. I was trying to be fair, not deceptive. But I'll go ahead and redo my original post with just the throws of 31+ yards:

Dalton

55 of 158 (34.8%) - See, the percentage actually went UP.  ThumbsUp
2599 yards
20 TDs
8 INTs
101.7 rating - Here it went way up.  Mellow

Brady

32 of 142 (22.5%) 
1542 yards
9 TDs
9 INTs
67.0 rating 

Yikes. Brady's stats got a whole hell of a lot worse when we switch it up to just 31+ yard throws. His bread and butter was actually deep mid-range (21-30), so removing that helps Dalton and hurts Brady big time.

Ben

58 of 213 (27.2%)
2793 yards
25 TDs
16 INT's (double Andy's INT's)
87.0 rating

Not only has Ben been less successful on 31+ yard throws, he's also been much more prone to throwing picks.

------------------------------------

Sheesh. This kinda backfired on ya, didn't it Pdub?  Wink

I never clicked your link because - to be frank - I've spent way too much time debating this stuff through the years, and I have almost every argument, angle and stat almost memorized. I don't need to click a link. I know Dalton's deep ball stats have actually been on the better end of NFL QB's over the course of his career. 

Now if you want to bash him, you should probably look at the mid-range throws that require Dalton to really sling it in there on a rope. He's struggled a bit at that 21-30 range that you claimed he was better at. He actually has a career 66.0 rating in that range. Yikes.

Again, I use ESPN splits to collect these stats. I can go year by year if anyone wants to see it.

Ok, so, to recap...

You didn't click any of my MANY links and read the info supporting my points (SO, ZERO EFFORT TO LEARN OR CONSIDER ANYONE ELSE'S IDEAS).... and then provided absolutely ZERO links supporting yours? I provided multiple sources and different breakdowns with many types of data and you have.... ESPN split stats? There's so much more data than that. If you would have read it you wouldn't have the opinion you do. To simplify the game of professional football into very basic stats is wrong. To simplify one player's multi year career by one stat line or season comparison is wrong. That's Paltering, which is why I linked the definition to it.

I get why fans of a player or team would do it, I really do, but until you're willing to at least listen or give consideration to the people you're engaged in conversation with, I can't respect or take your (IMO, willfully uninformed) opinion with anything other than a "fanboy" grain of salt. I go through a lot of effort to provide links and read through information before posting opinions. For you to respond without even reading them makes it tough to have meaningful back and forth interaction. You're a Bengals fan and I'm interested in your perspective and why you have it, which is why I'm on the forums. With honesty, I read links others provide (when they rarely do) just so I can understand where they're coming from and possibly continue to form my own opinion with a new take.

I get why you wouldn't want to do that same. Defending a player or fan favorite is common in sports - especially if, like Andy, they're an A++ person. But, if you're going to be in a discussion about a specific subject, it would be great if you at least checked out what your fellow fans are basing their opinions on if they provide links, etc.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: AD better deep ball than u think - J24 - 04-07-2018, 11:55 PM
RE: AD better deep ball than u think - PDub80 - 04-08-2018, 11:51 AM