Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AD better deep ball than u think
(04-08-2018, 11:51 AM)PDub80 Wrote: I get why you wouldn't want to do that same. Defending a player or fan favorite is common in sports - especially if, like Andy, they're an A++ person. But, if you're going to be in a discussion about a specific subject, it would be great if you at least checked out what your fellow fans are basing their opinions on if they provide links, etc.

Trolling is also common on team sport message boards.

And that is what leads to comments like these

(04-07-2018, 08:33 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Without AJ Green, Andy Dalton is steaming hot dog crap

Note the excuses people make for 2014 Andy. He looked like a lost little kid at the grocery without his daddy to take lead him around when AJ Green was hurt.

At the same time you ignored the fact that on throws over 30 yards that year Dalton had a 106.9 passer rating.

You claim that he "stinks" at the deep ball yet you never show him getting a grade lower than average "C".

The "Deep Ball Blitz" rankings you posted are subjective opinion stats.  If a guy likes Luck more than Dalton then he will see Dalton's receiver "adjusting" while Luck's is not. And exactly how accurate is accurate?  Zero movement of receivers hands?  Six inches?  A foot?  Only a miniscule percentage of passes hit a receiver directly between the numbers. If the ball is over the receivers shoulder does it have to drop right into his belly?  Or hands out at chest height?  Or hands out at face height?  

It is these type of subjective ratings that resulted in PFF claiming in '15 Dre Kirkpatrick was the 112th ranked CB behind a bunch of scrubs who barely played while he was playing 97% of the snaps on the #5 ranked pass defense and placing in the top 30 in almost every objective coverage stat (yards per target, completion percentage allowed, success rate, etc).

I welcome any stats from any source.  I love that this link you provided had a list of all the QBs to compare.  I have no idea why ESPN keeps track of those stats but won't provide them in a useful format.  The only thing I am wary of is subjective type stats where two players can both do their job but one gets graded much higher than the other.  Just too many ways that can get skewed.

I have not watched every deep ball thrown by every QB in the league, but I have watched all the other QBs throwing deep against the Bengals plus several other random games over the course of a year.  Seems to me Andy hits the deep ball as well as most other QBs.

I think too many people are influenced by only watching highlights where the QB hits the receiver every time.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: AD better deep ball than u think - J24 - 04-07-2018, 11:55 PM
RE: AD better deep ball than u think - fredtoast - 04-08-2018, 03:33 PM