Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AD better deep ball than u think
(04-08-2018, 07:44 PM)wolverine515151 Wrote: Another thing to keep in mind, is how accurately the qb rating system ranks a qb on deep throws. I could argue it isn't that accurate at all.

For example, a qb throws a deep ball at his 50 yard line for a TD.

Another throws it at his 40 yard, and the ball is spotted at 10 yard line. A couple plays later that team scores a TD

The first qb gets a much higher rating, even though they both completed a 50 yard throw, simply because his scored a TD and the other QB's throw didn't score a TD.

So the rating system on deep throws is highly dependent not only on accuracy, but where the ball was thrown. A QB shouldn't be penalized because he throws the ball further away from the end zone. That is a bias built into the QB ratings calculation

For example, in 2017 Dalton completed 3 of 16 throws between 31- 40 yards with 2 TD's. He had a QB rating of 106. Now that seems artificially inflated because two throws were within 40 yards of the end zone which scored a TD.

The guy who completed the long pass for a score deserves the extra ratings points.

Why is this?  Because the guy in your analogy that completed a 50 yd bomb to the 10 yd line, his score isn't guaranteed.  He still has to do more work, in order to achieve the goal.  Plus, that goal isn't guaranteed.  How many times have folks seen a big play that lands in the Red Zone, only to see the drive result in a FG attempt?

Seems pretty simple to me, the long play for TD is obviously worth much more than the long throw that only gets them close.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: AD better deep ball than u think - J24 - 04-07-2018, 11:55 PM
RE: AD better deep ball than u think - SunsetBengal - 04-08-2018, 08:10 PM