Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AD better deep ball than u think
(04-17-2018, 09:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: A lot is made about the nuber of penaties he draws, but when you look at CBs and penalties many times the best CBs in the league are also among the most penalized. For example

...2017 Dre had 7 penalties. There were 23 other CBs who had at least 7 penalties (including William jackson and Josh Shaw). The league leader among CBs was All-Pro Marcus Peters with 9. Fellow All Pros Xavier Rhodes and Patrick Peterson also had 7 penalties just like Dre.

...2016 Dre had 9 penalties. Only 7 CBs had as many as 9 penalties that year, but All Pro Patrick Peterson and A.J. Bouye (who got a $5 yr $68 million contract based on his '17 performance) had more penalties that Dre. Xavier Rhodes, Richard Sherman, and Pro Bowler Vontea Davis all had just one fewer penalty than Dre.

...2015 Dre led all CBs with 13 penalties, but All Pro Aqib Talib was second, Xavier Rhodes was 3rd, Richard Sherman and Marcus Peters tied for 5th, Vontae Davis was 6th and Patrick Peterson 10th.

This seems to be a staistical anomaly that the best CBs would be the league leaders in penalties, but I think it has to do with the fact that they are close enough to receivers to make those tight plays that draw penalties. The guys that can't cover don't end up attempting as many plays on the ball.

According to ProFootballOutsiders his stop rate against the pass was 18th in the league.  He had a horrible stop rate against the run, but that was only 11 total plays in 16 games.  Still just dropped himto 43rd overall.

And his "yards per play" against the pass was 28th.  Terrible yards per play on 11 runs dropped him to 53rd overall.

Don't see how that drops him to #90.  Especially since he was 32nd in success rate and top 25 in completion percentage allowed.

Not Dre's fault that PacMan was a top 4 CB in the league that year.

Wrong.  PFF was usuing a formula that would allow a player to be ranked behind another who both played fewer snaps and messed up more often.

But another big problem was the subjective part of the grading.  Two players could both do their job on a play but one would get subjective "bonus points".

I don't give a dam if other players who got a lot of penalties made the pro bowl . What does that have to do with his stop rate and yards per play. I'll answer that for you. It has nothing to do with those two stats!! 

If you add 10 more burns to his stop rate ,because he got 10 more penalties than the average corner, then his stop rate would plummet in percentage. The same goes if you add 10 extra penalties worth of yards to his total yards, his yards per play would plummet. 

He still got ZERO INTERCEPTIONS!!!  Had a horrible run stop percentage no matter how many opportunities he had. You could use the same argument for Dalton on the deep balls. He didn't throw it many times over 30 yards, so there not enough data to prove anything.

Quit cherry picking when a small data set is important and when it isn't . He got picked on more than corner and PFF ranked him nearly last in the league and they had an accurate rating system in 2015. 

So what if Pacman was the other corner, they could have thrown it to the slot or tight ends more and they didn't because they obviously felt Kirkpatrick was easy pickings.

You can spin the fact any way you want, but the facts stand for themselves. Who gives a  dam about how many players with a lot of penalties made the pro bowl. They certainly didn't have as many as Kirkpatrick did. 
If I win the lottery I'll spend half the money on alcohol, gambling and wild women. The other half I'll waste. 
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: AD better deep ball than u think - J24 - 04-07-2018, 11:55 PM
RE: AD better deep ball than u think - wolverine515151 - 04-17-2018, 09:49 PM