Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Success of "fastest" WRs since '00
(04-13-2018, 01:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Forty times and stats from ProFootballReference.com

Over the last 18 years ('00-'17) there have been a total of 10 WRs who ran the forty in 4.30 or faster at the combine.  

Five of the ten never had a single season with 500 receiving yards, and 2 more only had a single season.  Only 1 of them (Donte Stallworth) had more than 2 seasons with at least 500 receiving yards.  

In 45 combined NFL seasons they only produced 11 seasons with 500+ yards.

Not a single one of them ever had a 1000 season.  

The 10 WRs only produced 3 seasons with as many as 900 receiving yards (Stallworth '05, Darrius Heyward Bay '11, Marquise Goodwin '17).

8 of the 10 were listed at less than 6 feet tall, and the two that were at least 6 feet tall (Stallworth, Heyward Bay) accounted for two of the three 900 yd seasons and seven of the eleven 500+ yard seasons.

Hmm

How about Calvin Johnson and Desean Jackson, both ran a 4.35. I know thats not a 4.3 or faster, but I think fast guys can have success. Thats not to say that there isn't some merit to these stats. We have seen quite a few guys under 6 feet have great success in this league. Steve Smith ran a 4.39, which IMO is still pretty damn fast, and you could argue he was the most exciting receiver to watch in the 00's. He even led the ENTIRE league in yards one year, if I remember correct. I think short and fast guys can do fine, just depends on if they are more than a 9 route guy. Guys with one good route, better do it amazing if they want to have success. Hopefully, John Ross falls closer to Steve Smith, than he does Heybey.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Success of "fastest" WRs since '00 - pdub2005 - 04-16-2018, 01:57 PM