Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
And just like that, Brandon LaFell is even more valuable.....
(04-17-2018, 03:04 PM)Au165 Wrote: In the last three years, which is what I have said, they are the same guy basically. Bryant shades better because of TD's but frankly your not paying Bryant much more than Lafell on anything other than name recognition. 

Bryant- 2035 yards, 150 receptions, 17 TDs, average of 49% catch rate.
LaFell- 1925 yards, 153 receptions, 9 TDs, average of 56.1% catch rate.

I am not paying guys based on what they did when they were fresh, pre injury, and new to the league I pay them on recent success. Recent success tells me LaFell is basically Dez now except he catches less TD's but is more reliable at actually catching the ball when it's thrown to him. Dez got found out a couple years back, I think it was Norman who basically said the guy runs three routes and based on tape and tendency you basically know which one he runs each play within a yard of the line.

....again if Dez would play for what LaFell is making I'd take Dez, but seriously the gap between the two TODAY isn't what people think it is.

You might as well throw out 2015 for both, because it's unfair to judge either based on that season. LaFell was less than 100%, working his way back from injury. Dez was catching passes from Weeden (among others) and missed 7+ games due to injury himself.

Looking at the last 2 years, here's their per game averages:

Bryant: 56.3 yards - 0.48 TDs
LaFell: 44.1 yards - 0.28 TDs

I'll take 12 more yards and a 20% higher chance for a TD any day. Assuming the price difference isn't big. Obviously Dez has far more upside as well. He's a "name" because he's produced big in the past. That doesn't mean he'll produce in the future, but there is a chance for a rebound. LaFell "rebounding" would be producing near the level of Bryant's down years. You also have to consider that Bryant is a bit younger.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: And just like that, Brandon LaFell is even more valuable..... - Shake n Blake - 04-17-2018, 11:33 PM