Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why didn't we wait till this year
(04-22-2018, 05:23 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: To take a wide receiver. I know I know its hindsight. But looking at Calvin Ridley and how much he'd benefit this offense with yac,with the speed and the cuts,can you imagine him instead of lafell that gets all the targets?

Instead we got short frail john Ross plus he's quiet, and shy, looks like a teenager . He looks like he will get murdered on the field next year even if he does good to start. I don't trust him what so ever. We are back to hoping eifhurt and Ross stay healthy.haha good luck

I get the frustration with Ross's rookie season, but there have been a lot of draft picks that didn't start out of the gate very well and went on to great careers here....like TJ Houshmanzadeh and Rudi Johnson.  The latter is a good example because Rudi wasn't given much of a chance until a few years later.  I don't think the sample size on Ross is remotely fair enough to pass judgement on him, but that is your right.  

The reason we went WR last year was because of a couple reasons.  Ever since losing Marvin Jones, the Bengals had not had anyone at X receiver that could take advantage of the double teams across the field on Green.  The offense lacked a second big-play threat and someone with Ross's mercurial speed could force a defense to drop their safeties and that helps the rushing attack.  There was also a dearth of offensive tackles that were rated that highly in last year's draft.  Lastly, they had already invested in two early picks on OTs and whether you like the players or not, when they are drafted that high the team is almost forced to give multiple opportunities to see if they can be coached up and/or develop their strength in the offseason.  The jury is still out on Fisher, although Ced is a certified whiff....not all bad, as it got the Bengals to change their ridiculous scheme and give Alexander the boot.  

This year, they traded for a solid LT in Cordy Glenn, signed RT Mike Hart (not a great RT in my book, but something about his massive size and the fact that our new offensive line coach faded him twice a year and knows him...) as well as let Russell Bodine walk.  Not a bad offseason thus far.

The draft, as always, will be critical, but when it all boils down I think you will be glad they have Ross this year. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why didn't we wait till this year - SHRacerX - 04-23-2018, 08:17 AM