Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The truth behind the Lamar Jackson/Mason Rudolph rumors
(04-30-2018, 11:05 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: Jim
I wasn't clear by the article regarding who they preferred between Ragnow and Price.  It sounded like all three centers were rated highly on the Bengals board as first rounders.  Nevertheless, when you hear the OC talk about Billy, he sounded like Billy was their guy all along due to intangibles and leadership and toughness.  

I agree with your partner that the Bengals needed to dip into the well one more time to address RT or RG even if it would be a slight reach.  Do you think the Bengals will bring into camp another team's Offensive tackle who may get cut?

In 2016, when the Bengals drafted William Jackson III the pick right before the Steelers, the Steelers selected Artie Burns.

This was viewed, at the time, as a significant reach. It was given a C- by Walterfootball at the time saying "The Steelers typically take highly ranked players who fall to them. Think Alvin Dupree, David DeCastro and Jarvis Jones. I figured they'd be all over Myles Jack, but they went with a different strategy this year - reaching for a second-round prospect. Artie Burns is certainly a second-round player. He has great athleticism and size, but he's pretty raw for a player. That's pretty much the definition of a second-round prospect; not someone worth grabbing at No. 25 overall. There were better players available for the Steelers, such as Jack, Kendall Fuller, Jarran Reed or Andrew Billings. I don't like this pick at all."

Others chirped similarly, saying they overreacted to the Bengals stealing their intended pick and reached because of it.

However, despite this reaction, the Steelers coaches insisted that Burns was their target all along.

Two years out, WJ3 is, rather decisively, the superior player.

So one of two things happened:
1. The Steelers misevaluated and thought Burns was better than WJ3
2. They did have their pick stolen and didn't want to sound bad to the media and, perhaps more importantly, to Artie himself.

No one wants to feel like they were a consolation prize or a "second favorite." Imagine being married to someone and they only married you because their first choice didn't love them. That's why the coaches are, essentially, forced to insist that they got their target every time. Can't degrade a player's morale before he even signs a contract with you.

Similarly, the Bengals coaches had to ensure the media and the fans (and Price) that 'Those thinking we wanted Ragnow merely fell for our trick!'  Price was their man from the start.

I have no doubt that they had Price highly rated. They wouldn't have picked him otherwise. But I don't think we'll ever know if they had Price rated above Ragnow or not. Nor do I think it really matters. Either way, we got a first round prospect at Center and a guy who will man the position for the foreseeable future.

Can't expect much better than a day 1 starter at 21.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: The truth behind the Lamar Jackson/Mason Rudolph rumors - CJD - 04-30-2018, 11:29 AM