Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's more important to the Bengals.....
(07-11-2018, 02:45 PM)Shady Wrote: Finishing among the bottom 5 teams in YPC over the past 15+ years since Marvin has been our HC and Paul Alexander as our OLine coach goes along way toward explaining our record in the playoffs. 2005 was the last year that we were decent on the OLine, and Rudi Johnson tore up the league. We could have and probably would have won the Super Bowl that year had Palmer not gotten hurt in the playoff game. We have to be able to run the ball. We typically can't. Why? My theory is that Piano Man's scheme was designed for pass-protection. They tried running out of that scheme and it just never worked. Part of it was personnel, but alot of it was scheme. Glad we're investing in a new Oline coach and better Olinemen.

The trick is to keep a steady stream of talent coming in through the draft. That helps keep salaries down, but eventually you have to pay your top performers. Be selective. ONLY keep (pay) the best. Replace the rest with younger talent. For that, you need to scout well. Another Bengals' weakness (Ced O & Fisher).

Same logic applies to Dline.

I'd love to know what everyone else in the room (including the few scouts we do have) thought of Og and Fish.  It just seemed like a one man show all the way.

They were universally noted to have significant concerns about the very weakness they have demonstrated here.  Even our pedestrian board members (relative to legit NFL coaches and scouts) had big concerns about those guys.

I can't think of many of our board who weren't livid with those first two picks.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: What's more important to the Bengals..... - 3wt - 07-13-2018, 02:42 PM