Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rushing attack-How important?
(07-20-2018, 08:53 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Dead on, Harley.  So were you, Synric.  

I am optimistic for several reasons:

1.) The personnel-  Having Price vs. Bodine in Dalton's lap is probably the single greatest upgrade this team could make at any one spot, and we also got Glenn for that pick.  Brilliant.  Westerman and Redmond finally got their shot, and showed they are capable maulers even if they have some work to do in pass protection.

2.) Pollack-  This is every bit as important.  I know some defended Alexander, but when a guy that is as big a homer as anyone here (Lapham) openly complained of the lack of power, drive blocking, especially in short yardage....I think the new scheme will help the rushing attack tremendously.  And, historically, when this team rushes the ball well, they win.

3.) Lazor-  He may not be coaching the line directly, but his ability to impact the rushing game last year with no offseason preparation for what he wanted to do, was impressive.  Both Mixon and Gio finished with 100 yard rushing games with two new starters on the offensive line and one playing out of position.  He knew what was being done wasn't going to accomplish anything, so he stood his ground, made changes, and got the team to buy in.  I am VERY glad this guy is our OC and I can't wait to see what he can do with a full offseason.  

4.) Competition- No one is being handed the RG or RT position, and there could be a number of different scenarios that play out, but either way, competition improves the breed.  Hope is not a strategy, but competition at the positions should get the most out of the candidates for those spots.

5.) The RBs-  Mixon may be having heard about becoming more of a bell-cow, but Gio and Walton will be battling for snaps as well.  I have a feeling that all the RBs will be more involved in the passing game as well.  

Nice post.  I agree with all your reasons for optimism.  And I have to admit that the Walton pick and Flowers UDFA signing were both excellent ideas.  I think it will give us some needed depth at RB and QB.

The only draft pick I have questions about is Jefferson.  Other than that I think we had a really nice draft.

Can't wait for training camp
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Rushing attack-How important? - SHRacerX - 07-19-2018, 08:29 AM
RE: Rushing attack-How important? - Au165 - 07-19-2018, 08:36 AM
RE: Rushing attack-How important? - Steve - 07-20-2018, 10:50 PM
RE: Rushing attack-How important? - Au165 - 07-20-2018, 08:37 AM
RE: Rushing attack-How important? - Au165 - 07-20-2018, 09:19 AM
RE: Rushing attack-How important? - 3wt - 07-20-2018, 02:32 PM
RE: Rushing attack-How important? - Steve - 07-20-2018, 10:37 PM
RE: Rushing attack-How important? - Synric - 07-19-2018, 10:33 PM