Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Who most impressed you tonight?
(08-09-2018, 11:36 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’ll pick one player from each side of the ball:

On O it was Auden Tate with a couple great catches and a TD in the 2nd half. I think he made the team tonight.

On D it was Jordan Evans. He seemed to be all over the place.

Mostly positive tonight other than Ross falling down resulting in a pick 6, and Barkley looking awful. Hopefully he lost the backup job cause I don’t see him getting any better the next few games.

Who you got?
In the 1st Quarter of Preseason Game 1, when the starters were in, the O Line looked OK.  The catches by AJ Green.  The catch and touchdown run by Mixon. The catch by Ross.  Touchdown to Boyd.  Some ground yards by Mixon and Bernard. Time to throw for Dalton.  None of that happens without Blocking.  I'll repeat that. None of that happens without Blocking.   

So the Blocking while the starters were in there looked OK.  I only saw one play the D got in on Dalton, and he ran away for a first down. Ross slipped which caused the offense to give up a touchdown, but the defense wasn't giving up points, and the Tackling looked OK.  

That is what football is. Blocking, Tackling, Team Work.  When the starters were in there, I saw improved Blocking, Tackling & Team Work.  Keep it up going forward.  I saw a good team out there when starters were in, but I'm sure the coaches will find a lot of game film to jump on them about in training camp. Probably many things the coaches want to coach up before regular season.

The Tempo of the offense was faster. Much faster than Zampese or Hue Jackson or even Jay Gruden. Often they were right back up there snapping the ball before TV cameras were ready, which is shades of Sam Wyche Hurry Up. Several times the TV camera didn't show most of the play because the Bengals lined back up so fast and ran another play. I like that. Keep the D from changing their players sets. Catch them off guard. I didn't see any of that turtle slow putting tackles out with receiver and then waiting as they shift back to O Line, that Hue used and Zampese kept. I'm hoping that garbage is gone with more of a focus on just Blocking and with a faster paced offense. The offense was running those plays Sam Wyche fast last night. Good. speed it up because I thought Bengals offense was too slow last few years. The quick NFL defenses are too fast for that slow stuff. The NFL is twice as fast as college, so I'm all for Bengals being one of the faster teams in NFL. We went to Super Bowls with fast tempo teams. Slow doesn't cut it in the NFL. Marvin Lewis on a quick interview before game mentioned speeding things up tonight. They did. Maybe Lazor will be laser fast, shades of Sam Wyche. Catch the D with wrong players on the field. That big pass to Ross was a play the TV camera missed the snap because Bengals line-up and snapped fast. Good, catch everybody off guard, I like it.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Who most impressed you tonight? - 3wt - 08-10-2018, 04:04 PM
RE: Who most impressed you tonight? - McC - 08-10-2018, 11:57 PM
RE: Who most impressed you tonight? - kevin - 08-10-2018, 06:44 AM
RE: Who most impressed you tonight? - 3wt - 08-10-2018, 04:21 PM
RE: Who most impressed you tonight? - McC - 08-10-2018, 05:41 PM
RE: Who most impressed you tonight? - 3wt - 08-10-2018, 04:31 PM
RE: Who most impressed you tonight? - 3wt - 08-13-2018, 01:01 PM
RE: Who most impressed you tonight? - 3wt - 08-13-2018, 01:17 PM