Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
700WLW/1530 RANT (Bengals Coverage Related)
(08-30-2015, 11:54 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Ok, I'm not sure where to start out here.  I guess first let me say that if you're not local you may want to ignore this, as it probably won't interest you in the least.  Let me preface this rant by also saying that I understand this thread could probably be in a number of other places, but since it will get the most talk here and it is related to the Bengals I'm putting it here.

Ok, so.... Am I the only one is absolutely amazed by the amount of coverage and time that is given to the Reds by these two stations?  It's honestly unbelievable how much these stations devote to one team.  Yes, I understand that they have a monetary interest.  Yes, I understand that baseball season is long and that they're a lot of games.  I get all that.  But for anyone that flips around the AM dial I think you'll find that an obscene amount of time is spent on the Reds.

Let's start with just the length of the season and games.  That's built in coverage.  You've got the end of March, April, May, June, July, August, Sept, and sometimes October.  Just about 8 full months of baseball games.  Usually 5 or 6 times a week.  Obviously 162 games.  Oh, and don't forget Spring Training, they got those covered too.  Just in the game coverage that is a LOT of time for baseball fans to get their fix.

Now, let's talk scheduling.  You're going to get Lance McAllister from 3-6 on game days.  That's going to be 90% Reds talk, no matter the time of year or the place their in.  Then you're going to get the pre-game from 6-7.  Then you got the game from 7-10:30-ish.  Oh, and then you got Extra Innings too.  So basically, as far as sports coverage on game day, which 5 or 6 days a week, you getting pretty much all Reds, from 3 to midnight.

9 hours of Reds, 5 or 6 days a week, for 8 months, for a total of 162 days.  Now, I know these numbers aren't close to exact, but if you were to total that it would 1,458 hours of Reds related programming during the season.  For prespective, to be considered eligible for benefits in many job you need to work 1,000 hours.  To listen to all the Reds discussion it would be like a full time job.

(I hope some people are still following me here cuz I'm just rambling but I will eventually get to a larger point.)

Oh, and did I mention that Eddy and Tracy talk a decent amount about the Reds?  Did I mention there's a Dat Dude BP report?  Did I mention that Eddie are Marty have a regular segment?  Did I mention that even Ken Broo's weekened afternoon shows are dominated by Reds talk, even though they're on later that night?

Reds, Reds, Reds, Reds, Reds.  When they suck, Reds.  When the games are meaningless, Reds.  Aroldis Chapman starter talk for the 1,454 time?  Yes, please.  Pitchers and Catchers reporting?  Let's talk Reds in the winter.  Winter meetings?  Lets talk Reds in during football.

Baseball has a LOT of downtime during the games.  A shit ton.  There is ample opportunity between innings, pitches, the 3rd pitching change in 2 innings for a situational, to discuss on things Reds.  You got that almost everyday.  You got pre-game, got Extra innings, you got this for 8 ***** months.  So much Reds coverage built into the schedule.  So why do the talk shows surrounding the shit sandwhich of Reds coverage we're offered up still need to be dominated by more Reds talk?

UC has a darkhorse Heisman candidate, how much time is spent on Gunner Kiel?  UC has a good chance of being ranked, but little to no discussion.  Stadium upgrades, conference alignment, Mick Cronin's health, UC-Xavier back on campus, O$U football, the fact that Cincinnati has some of the best high school football in the country, local athletes, UK basketball, the state of recruiting.... The list goes on and on.  None of gets any significant coverage.

Now to the Bengals.  The Reds suck this year.  You've spent all this time on them.  Now that football is here why the hell is at least a 50-50 split on talk radio?  I turned on Broo yesterday, and guess what?  Reds talk.  I remember a few years ago I turned on Lance the Friday before opening weekend in the NFL.  I figured it would be nothing but NFL talk.  Nope, he talked Reds, even though they had the Wildcard locked up and they were waiting for the regular season to end.

I'm sorry, but it drives me nuts.  Even huge Reds fan can't want to hear Reds talk for 3 hours at this point. Right?  For the love of God, please start giving more attention to the NFL, which crushed MLB in ratings, and start devoting more time to college teams!!!  PLEASE!!!!

If I hear Lance, or Mo, or Broo, or whoever, open up another show talking about the Reds I may just drive into oncoming traffic!!!!  Make it stop!!!!  For someone who loves sports, I immediately turn off your programming because it sucks!!!  

Rant over....  Whew, I feel better.  Sorry, about the wall of words.
Are you talking about the Reds?
The World champion Reds?
That team with all the guys in Cooperstown?
The oldest and first professional baseball team?
That team that is been around nearly as long as Cincinnati itself?
The club that is beloved by this city and every baseball fan in a three hundred mile radius?

Yeah, I wonder why they talk about the Reds so much?
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: 700WLW/1530 RANT (Bengals Coverage Related) - tman - 08-30-2015, 09:17 PM