Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lets give Marvin credit this season ....
(10-25-2018, 02:05 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: No need to get snotty BY. Apologies if I came off that way, but it really wasn't my intent to make this a poo flinging contest.

Anywho, whether or not we would've made the playoffs with a different coach is a whole other topic, but lets be honest here. One of the other candidates was Tom Coughlin. A Mike Brown led franchise was choosing between Marvin Lewis and Tom Coughlin. Two very good candidates. I'm not sure why Marv apologists always like to ignore this and focus only on Dave Shula/Bruce Coslet (1991-2003). 

As for talent acquisition, I'd argue that our de facto GM (Tobin) has had more to do with that than Marvin Lewis. 

This is where we differ. I don't think Marvin Lewis is the only thing keeping this team from sinking into a black hole, because (a) Tobin and (b) the last time we had a coaching vacancy, we looked at some very good candidates. Either way, I'd rather risk falling into another lost decade and say "we tried" than to sit here for infinity watching Marv teams choke, knowing full well they aren't winning a championship. 

1. Save your faux bewilderment, Skip Bayless. Of course I've wanted free agent upgrades just like anyone else. Anything that would boost our chances of winning a playoff game. That doesn't mean we haven't had teams talented enough to win playoff games. 

2. What are the odds a team loses 7 straight playoff games in embarrassing fashion? One in a Marvin Lewis? 

Not getting snotty. We are friends going way back. We are having a healthy debate among Bengal fans, that is what this website is for right?

We are just speaking two different languages. You say Marvin Lewis is 0-7 in the playoffs, I say we don't even have 7 playoff appearances without Marvin Lewis. I say we are 0-7 with Mike Brown. Facts say we are well, well under .500 with Mike Brown and we are over .500 with Marvin Lewis. AP says Marvin Lewis 2009 coach of the year. Many polls say Mike Brown among  worst owner in Sports.

I am well aware of Tom Coughlin being a New Yorker. I know the Giants organization better then you and their culture for their players/coaches/organization is far, far, far better then the Bengals. What you don't take into consideration are the players/coaches  feel while they come to work Monday-Saturday. Tom Coughlin was a good tough coach, but he would not have retained talent here, nor would he have changed the culture here. Marvin had more respect in the league in 2003 so when Marvin changed the culture, Tom would have been like Shula, Coslett, Dick Lebeau, etc a lackey just happy to have a job. 

I don't care if you had Lombardi or Belicheat[see cleveland browns as coach] in TODAY'S NFL you won't be able to keep quality players if you are cheap. BB has a fine organization and their owner spares no expense in keeping his players comfortable. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/kicker-explains-why-everyone-on-the-patriots-loves-owner-robert-kraft/

The Bengal players don't love Mike Brown, if not for Marvin Lewis they would abandon ship as soon as their contract expired. 

It's the Culture, Culture, Culture!!!!!!
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lets give Marvin credit this season .... - BengalYankee - 10-25-2018, 04:55 AM