Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lets give Marvin credit this season ....
(10-25-2018, 05:49 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Coughlin only won Super Bowls because he worked for an owner that got him some help in free agency.  Just look at their '07 starting lineup....

Their leading receiver was Plaxico Burress who had multiple thousand yard seasons in Pitt before signing with the Giants. 
RT Kareem McKenzie was a three year starter with the Jets before signing with the Giants.  
OC Shaun Ohara was a two year starter for the Browns before signing with the Giants and going to 3 Pro Bowls. 
DT Fred Robbins was a 3 year starter with the Vikings before signing with the Giants. 
MLB Antonio Pierce was a starter in Washington before signing with the Giants and going to a Pro Bowl. 
LB Kawika Mitchell was a starter in Kansas City before signing with the Giants.  
CB Sam Madison was an All Pro with the Dolphins before signing with the Giants.

And how many Pro Bowl players ended up in Cincinnati because they refused to play for the team that rafted them and forced a trade to the Bengals. LOL

I don't even know if Coughlin would have won as many games as Marvin did here.  You can't just compare their records because Marvin was handicapped by working under Mike Brown.

Be honest. Who had more talent to work with? Coughlin with the Giants or Marv with the Bengals?

Free agency or not, AJ Green and Chad were both better than Plaxico. Palmer and Dalton are both better than Eli. We've had more talent on defense. Better o-lines. 

(10-25-2018, 05:58 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Dillon, Warrick, and Simmons were part of the core of our playoff teams?

And if the talent was already here then why did they only win 4 games?  Coaching, maybe?

Yes, Brian Simmons was a core part of the 2005 playoff team with 84 tackles, 4 sacks and 2 INTs + leadership.

Dillon and Warrick helped with the 8-8 turnaround in 2004. 

Nice cherry picking though. What about Palmer, Chad, Housh, Rudi, Justin Smith, Willie, Levi and Braham?

To answer your question with some common sense, they didn't win because (a) no Palmer yet and (b) those players were all young and not blossomed yet and c) Lebeau was a terrible coach.

(10-25-2018, 08:41 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I don't hate Marvin either In fact I'm sure he's a really good guy. But he's not a really good NFL HC, he's very average at best.

Ditto. I was a huge Marvin guy before the playoff losses started to mount. I've even said recently that I'd love to see him go on a playoff run to salvage his legacy. I don't hate Marvin Lewis, I just love my team. If my team can do better, you can go kick rocks.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lets give Marvin credit this season .... - Shake n Blake - 10-26-2018, 01:24 PM