Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would you trade Suarez for a Number 1 Starter?
I read somewhere that the organization is open to moving Gennett and Hamilton (yes, Bob has had a change of heart). I also think Iglesias should be on the table as well.

As far as spending goes, I'm also hearing that they don't have much of a shot at guys like Corbin or Keuchel, 30 mil or not. I've heard that the team is interested in adding a number 2 or 3 starter and a good middle relief option in free agency. Not exactly earth-shattering moves there, but probably good for a few wins if the pan out.

I think about the 2019 Reds kind of like the 2018 Bengals. They'll be better, but they're still in the process of becoming legitimately good. Give them two years of acquiring talent, however, and they could become something special. They've screwed up the rebuild so bad, that it will take more than 1 season with a new pitcher to fix their issues, obviously.

Next year, however will be a different story. Homer's contract will be fulfilled after 2019 and a bunch of cash will be freed up to go shop for free agents. At that point, perhaps you actually can go after a number 1 if you need to.

My ideal plan would probably be a bit too ambitious for the Reds FO, but here it is: Sign a number 2 or 3 starter like Morton, Holland, maybe Happ, or Gio Gonzalez. Trade for another starter. I'd look at Sonny Gray. He's not in the good graces of the Yankee organization. After they get done adding pitchers in trades/FA, he could probably be had for something we can afford to lose, ie Gennett or Iglesisas. He may not be an ace in NY, but he's easily be our best pitcher almost immediately. After that I'd wait to see if anyone wants to sign Harvey. If not, I'd add him on a 1 or 2 year deal.

After that you have a rotation of Gray, free agent, Harvey, Castillo and Disco. Roll with that group until 2019 and hope maybe Mahle or Santillan is ready for the majors by 2020. By then, offensive players like Senzel and Trammell should be ready to play in the bigs and you should be able to bring in a big arm with the windfall from the Bailey deal expiring.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Would you trade Suarez for a Number 1 Starter? - samhain - 11-08-2018, 04:03 PM