Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Driskel should be starter next year
(12-18-2018, 01:57 PM)Fullrock Wrote: You people who continue to support Dalton (a QB that ranks somewhere between 15-20 in the league) crack me up when you have made the decision how terrible Driskel is after 3 starts. If you know ANYTHING about football, you know it takes time for QB's to develop. Let me remind you that your beloved "Average Andy" threw for less than 200 yards in 10 out of 17 games in his rookie year.

Jared Goff had a stellar 71.2 passer rating and threw 5 TD's and 7 picks in his first 7 starts for the Rams. Good thing they didn't write him off as "terrible" huh? Hall of Famer Peyton Manning threw 28 picks his first season. The list can go on and on. It takes time to develop a QB people. This is the kid's first regular season action. You cannot replicate the speed of the game in practice or in the preseason when you are playing against people who don't make rosters.

Driskel has good size, runs a 4.5 40, has good arm strength, and is by all accounts an intelligent kid. Has he missed some throws? Of course. Has he made some impressive throws into tight windows? Yes. He was working with a severely short-handed deck Sunday after Boyd went out. John Ross was the No. 1 receiver at that point. That would have been a tough thing for the 8 year veteran Dalton, let alone a kid making his 3rd start.

As is so predictable, this coaching staff has tried to fit a QB who brings a different skill set to the equation into an offense designed for a different type of player at the position (Dalton). I have no idea what Driskel can develop into, and neither does anyone else at this point. Maybe he IS terrible. Maybe he isn't. What I do know is the tools are there. Again, we have seen Dalton for 8 years and know EXACTLY what he is. Good enough to win some games and bad enough to lose some games. At the end of the day you get average. Average hasn't been good enough to win a playoff game for 8 years. At what point do you move on?

This team has so many holes. They will be the worst team in the division next year. May as well see if you can develop the tools of Driskel into something in an offense designed to take advantage of his tools. What's the difference between 4 and 6 wins? As currently constructed, I can't see this team winning more than 6 games next year with Dalton under center.

It’s not so much supporting/defending Dalton as much as pointing out that Driskel, flat out, isn’t good. He will very likely never be good. All of the QBs you pointed out such as Manning, Goff and even Dalton were all very good QBs in college. Manning is probably the greatest prospect of all time and started in a much different era, passing wise. Despite the 28 picks, people KNEW he was going to be good. There was very little question after his first season.

Goff is a good example due to his slow start, but again, he was a legitimately good prospect and good QB in college.

Driskel, flat out sucked in college. He did nothing of note until he transferred to play lower competition and despite his 4.5 speed, was never much of a running threat.

So, we have a guy who was not good in college. He has been in the league for three years and done nothing. He finally gets the opportunity to start and he isn’t good. It’s quite obvious that he just isn’t very good, and that’s what we are getting at.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Driskel should be starter next year - KillerGoose - 12-18-2018, 05:35 PM