Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Driskel should be starter next year
(12-19-2018, 12:48 PM)Fullrock Wrote: Again, let me say it for the people in the back who have a hard time understanding. Do I think Driskel gives this team the best chance to win the most games next year? No. Do I think his physical tools warrant a chance to see what he might be able to develop into? Yes. This team IS NOT GOING TO WIN NEXT YEAR regardless of who is under center. Driskel is an unknown, and anyone who says otherwise after the kid has made 3 starts is delusional.

I do not want to see another year of average Andy. We know what he is after 8 years. The fact that he's a good guy has nothing to do with anything. The ONLY thing players are measured by is performance. With Dalton this is likely a 6-win team next year. Without him maybe they win 4 games, maybe they win a few more. What's the difference?

I would also be extremely hesitant to pay the price of a 1st round QB and then put him behind this offensive line. That's a recipe for disaster making that kind of investment in a QB and putting him in that situation. More reason to let Driskel play if you move on from Dalton. At least with Drisel's athleticism, they can design an offense to make use of his mobility and running ability to try to keep defenses honest.

He isn't an unknown, he is playing exactly to his scouting report. Three years in his accuracy hasn't gotten any better and that doesn't take live game reps to fix. Normally live game reps help with reading defenses and decision making, but accuracy you either have or you don't. It is pretty commonly held that if you come into the league inaccurate you won't make huge strides to fix it unless it's a slight mechanics issue. That was never the case with Driskel it has been that he simply doesn't have the accuracy. Everyone wants Tom Brady, but the reality is the number of even average QB's in the league after the 3rd or 4th round is minimal because normally that is where a lot of the guys with accuracy issues end up....like Driskel. 

You aren't going to take a year and build an offense around a 3rd year player who was a 6th round pick because he can run a little. Guys like him really are a dime a dozen and there are more of them in this class this year. Shea Patterson out of Michigan is basically Jeff Driskel if he comes out in the draft this year. Being enamored with running QB's is nothing new but time has shown they simply don't last when they run as a read versus out of need, so the idea we tailor some sort of offense that has him running is a short sighted approach to the teams future. 

So again, "all of us in the back" hear you we just don't think he is anymore than a back up. I'd send a 4th out to San Fran for Mullens, their third string QB, who has played far better before I'd start Driskel next season.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Driskel should be starter next year - Au165 - 12-19-2018, 01:06 PM