Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds Need Pitching This December
https://www.redreporter.com/2018/12/19/18148964/reds-indians-trade-corey-kluber-nick-senzel-taylor-trammell

We're still in talks with Cleveland about Corey Kluber.

At first thought, this was really exciting to me. But then it seems like they want Senzel plus more (which may even include Trammell!)...

Senzel has the potential to be a legitimate star in this league. He is a 5 tool player who has hit for average and power from the moment he was drafted. I just don't think it'd be a wise decision to trade 6 years of Senzel and possibly 6 years of Trammell for 3 years of Corey Kluber.

As much as Reds fans are excited for next season due to the fresh coaching staff and seemingly renewed faith in the front office to spend some money towards winning...I just don't see next year as a playoff year.

Maybe in 2020 they can compete for the wild card, but then you only have 2 years of Kluber.
By 2021, the first year we can realistically expect to truly compete for the division title and possibly world series, Joey Votto will be 37 and Kluber will be on the final year of his deal.

Optimistically, Greene will be in the majors by 2020, meaning we'd have a 1-2 punch that would be hard to beat. But that's assuming Greene works out and Kluber doesn't rapidly decline in the mean time.

Alternatively, you could have Senzel entering his first year of arbitration in 2022, meaning he'll be with the team until 2024, at least. And if Trammell comes up in 2020, we'll have him through 2025.

I just don't see that trade being worth the prospects. I know prospects aren't guaranteed and, for all we know, Senzel will be an oft-injured (vertigo being a major concern) bust and Trammell will never fulfill his potential, but I dunno...I already wish we didn't trade Didi Gregorius, who has turned out to be a magnificent Shortstop for the Yankees (we traded him for Shin-Soo Choo, who was in the final year of arbitration, so it was essentially a ***** rental.) Meanwhile, Didi has become a 4 WAR shortstop with offensive power (very rare for a shortstop)...

So the idea of trading prospects for a little bit of "now" has always been daunting to me...

I still hope we just sack up and pay for Dallas Keuchel, even if he is destined to only be a #2 or #3 starting pitcher.

We can get our ace next off season if we improve as much as we hope in 2019. It's important to remember: we were a trash team this past year. Expecting the playoffs in the following year would be quite the turnaround.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Reds Need Pitching This December - kevin - 12-12-2018, 01:26 PM
RE: Reds Need Pitching This December - CJD - 12-16-2018, 08:45 PM
RE: Reds Need Pitching This December - CJD - 12-20-2018, 10:03 AM
RE: Reds Need Pitching This December - CJD - 12-20-2018, 03:00 PM