Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More Creativity Needed on Offense
(12-18-2018, 04:42 PM)SnakeEyez925 Wrote: I am actually baffled by this as well.... I fully expected more of a "Lamar Jackson" looking attack once Driskel became the starter.  Instead we see him go 14/33 vs. Oakland on mostly drop back style passes.  If you take away some of the screen completions, he was extremely bad as far as accuracy goes.  He missed at least 6 passes way over targets' heads. 

I don't believe that was a true indication of him as a passer, because he is better than that... but where did the RPO's go now that there is a QB capable of being a run threat on the keeper? Where are some designed QB runs, more bootleg type pass options where he can choose to pull it down and be an athlete.  

I'm not saying get him killed by running QB Power's like Cam Newton, but locking him in the pocket with a below average OL and your 3rd line of pass catchers is not a great recipe for success from the outside looking in Sad 

Lazor had a QB in Miami with this kind of skill set in 14/15... Tannehill.  Tannehill pre-ACL injuries was a pretty damn good runner (former college WR) and he was labeled as more of an athlete than a great QB in his early years, but he still put up some outstanding numbers with Lazor as OC.  

I thought this would translate well for Driskel's prospects but it hasn't materialized yet. 

Jackson has had to leave three games this season due to injuries. Now he has come back, but you think a back up QB is bad? Wait until you see the back up to the back up after you hurt the back up. This whole idea that you are going to run athletic QB's has been done before, Jackson will end up hurt eventually. Hits in the NFL are cumulative and in the end no QB lasts taking that many hits. Guys like Wilson survive because when he runs he gets down and doesn't take contact, that is a rare skill that apparently the Ravens aren't concerned with.

With that said we do run a lot of boot actions that move the pocket for him, have even done a few sprint outs. RPO is just a buzz word people throw out. It isn't a read option like a lot of people think it is, this is truly a run or hand off option not really a QB keeper (rare). When the Eagles made it a household term the QB didn't really run it was a read on the LB that was either a give or filling the slant behind the LB when he came down to contain the run or a bubble screen. In truth your just not going to install a whole new offense for the back up, especially when it won't be the offense your going to run next year when the starter returns. The Ravens were adding running plays for Jackson over time already working him in. They can easily make the jump because he will be there starter next year and that is the future, apparently, of their offense. 
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: More Creativity Needed on Offense - Au165 - 12-18-2018, 04:51 PM