Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.6 Average
I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life
(01-13-2019, 07:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Here we are at the same point we reach in every Dalton debate.

Dalton is not an elite QB, but he is not a bad QB either.  The question is  "How hard is it to find an elite QB, and do we have to have an elite QB to win a championship?"  The fact is that it is so difficult to find an elite QB that most teams in the NFL build around a good one when they can.  Dalton is good enough to build around.  QBs as good as Dalton aren't that easy to find.  We certainly are not going to spend the money needed to sign a free agent QB better than Dalton, and as I have pointed out before only 5 of the 25 QBs taken in the first round since 2011 have a career passer rating better than Dalton.

It is easy to squeal about how Dalton is just "average" or "mediocre", but it is much harder to address the problem in the real world and say exactly where we are going to get a clear upgrade. Since we got Dalton in 2011 eleven of the 25 QBs taken in the first round have a passer rating in the 60's or 70's.  

While Marvin was our head coach Jake Delhomme, Matt Hasselbach, Rex Grossman, Eli Manning, Joe Flacco, Colin Kaepernick, and Nick Foles have all taken teams to the Super Bowl.  None of those QBs are significantly better than Dalton.

So it isn't just about Dalton being "average".  It is about the ability to find a better QB at a price we can afford.

This looks more like game, set, match than the previously claimed post.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - rfaulk34 - 01-13-2019, 10:24 PM