Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dream Free Agents to Bolster Roster Before Draft
(01-13-2019, 11:17 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Getting rid of Dre K. would open up 6.75M in space, after eating 4.2M in dead money.  The problem with moving him now is that you are now forced to add a full time starting CB, and I don't know that you're going to find anyone significantly better for any less money.  Like it or not, we might be stuck with Dre K. for at least another year.  Next year, his dead money/cap savings ratio improves by over 2M.  So by adding his potential replacement this year makes it much more profitable to get rid of him next year.

Additionally, we really have no clue what type of defense that Taylor will want to see run, who the prospective DC candidates even are, or how much freedom with roster changes the new regime will get.  Playing the speculation game was pretty easy under the Marvin Lewis regime, as he was pretty boring and consistent.  Maybe the new guy wants to blow it all up, and start from scratch?

I agree.

It's really hard to speculate.

At first glance overall by numbers this team looks like it has real problems at defense.

After Marvin took over it did improve so perhaps coaching and supplementing with LBs and improving the pass rush would be the solution.

With a new DC and HC at the helm who really knows if they'll do that or move on from overpaid & underperforming players.

I just worry they'll sink money in Dennard and keep DreK.

That's a hell of a lot of money invested into a strong history of lack of production.

Whatever they decide they absolutely have to improve the CB's turnover ratio... and fast!
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Dream Free Agents to Bolster Roster Before Draft - BengalsRocker - 01-13-2019, 11:28 AM