Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Official. Reds add Sonny Gray to Roark & Wood Added.
(01-25-2019, 07:27 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I think with the introduction of sabermetrics and all the weird statistics that come with it, teams have just become very good at optimization of player use.

I'm sure pitchers nowadays can still go 200 innings, it's more teams just don't want them to because, say, they have some sort of statistic that says keeping a pitcher under 150 innings per year not only increases their efficiency but increases the duration of their career as well (just made this idea up as an example of how those stats and trends can affect team building decision making).

Remember, there was a time not too long ago when teams didn't even track OPS and WAR. Those were concepts created with sabermetrics and moneyball.

There's also the consideration that an understanding of launch angles and gapping means hitters are getting better and better each year as well. I often ponder if Nolan Ryan could strike out Joey Votto or Mike Trout the way he could the players of the 70s and 80s. 

The game is constantly evolving and, as more data is found and used, decisions improve.

That's why my stance on all of this is generally "if our coaches do something, I assume there is a good reason for it."

If they use an opener, I will think this. If they don't use an opener, I will also think this. It's why I'm so excited that we have a new manager who is statistically minded rather than our old worn out "traditionalist" coaches that never had success here.

Only time will tell, but for the time being I am putting my trust in the coaching staff until they give me a reason not to :).

They definitely break the game down so much better now and I do get the money ball philosophy. I just think that some little old school things probably get lost anytime the majority of focus is on new ideas. That money ball movie kinda made the number cruncher more important than the old school eyes and ears scouts. Don’t forget that the team that won at the end had those old school scouts. Nolan Ryan threw faster than Chapman and any other person ever, he also had a really good curve ball. Yes, he could strike out anyone... including Votto. Votto isn’t a better hitter than Rose was, he’s just better as an overall OBP Guy.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Official. Reds add Sonny Gray to Roark & Wood Added. - Circleville Guy - 01-25-2019, 09:15 PM