Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Report: Bengals Making Changes to Strength and Conditioning Staff
(02-08-2019, 03:29 PM)Okeana Wrote: So let's start by the fact that the reference you give doesn't have one mention of Yoga or stretching.  I will quote the most relevant part of this article

"The vast majority (70-80%) of ACL tears happen without direct contact, as was reportedly the case with Henry and Worrilow on Tuesday.

As players get bigger/faster/stronger, the ACL stays the same size. Without contact, there is a premium on speed, precision and tempo in practice. When a sharp cut is made and the foot sticks in the ground — much like a ski binding not releasing — the injury happens."

Yoga is great for not only building flexibility but building the muscle groups around the knee.  Again a Guy like Whitworth who had knee issues credits the performance and longevity of his career specifically to Yoga.  This practice is catching on more and more every day with some teams developing their own programs 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2018/08/17/tackle-this-nfl-players-benefit-from-regular-yoga-practice/37513937/

Aside from health benefits it also helps develop focus, body positioning, stance, lean, and most importantly working lesser used muscle groups for functional movement.  

I'm going to side with the expert orthopedic surgeon here who says you CAN NOT reduce ACL injuries in any meaningful way through "strengthing and stretching". As many of these things have been going on for a while now and the league ACL injuries have not decreased at all, and at times have ticked higher in last 5 years.

Side note if you stretch a ligament you just sprained it, that is in fact what a sprain is so no "stretching" would help your ligaments. Ligaments aren't muscles which is part of the issue. You can make them stronger through exercise and as I said you don't want to stretch them.

So coming full circle on my argument....blaming the training staff for torn ACL's or broken bones is comical.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Report: Bengals Making Changes to Strength and Conditioning Staff - Au165 - 02-08-2019, 03:49 PM