Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hobson still spinning the same old crap
(02-11-2019, 12:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So which answer made you "sick"

Answer number one..."He made that clear in his opening address that he wants to build through the draft, but there are always exceptions and I could see them making an exception this March and going out early to get a UFA to free up the draft.  .  .  I said last month the 11th pick has got to be a tackle. Offense or defense. The bigger the better with this pick. Houston D-tackle Ed Oliver doesn’t have the kind of size I’d like to see at that spot, so give me Williams, the Alabama O-tackle."

Answer #2.....Bengals will not open up QB competition.

Answer #3....." I can see them dabbling in free agency on the offensive line because they need tackles. But the bottom line for this club to win is that these last two draft classes are filled with players that need to take that big leap between their first and second years and second and third years, such as John Ross, Jordan Willis, Billy Price, Malik Jefferson, Darius Phillips, etc. That’s one of the answers before free agency. They need those two to evolve like the '16 draft (William Jackson, Tyler Boyd, Nick Vigil, Clayton Fejedelem), which has been very solid."

Answer #4...….See #3

Answer #5 (Should we be concerned that assistants never had success at Miami?)…..Hobs says no.

Answer #6...………"New uniforms? They’ve got bigger fish to fry, but stay tuned. In 2019, you never know.

Answe #7 (a)……."You make a great point about Lewis’ first free-agent class. He got two great cultural leaders in that one (defensive tackle John Thornton and tight end Reggie Kelly) as well as a Pro Bowl cornerback in Tory James. Nice. I think Taylor has to be thinking leadership, among other things.  I think Taylor is going to cultivate veterans that are already here as well as possibly look elsewhere.

Answer #7 (b)…….I don’t think the draft process changes much with the hiring of Taylor. A key member of the search committee runs the draft and I would imagine Due Tobin, director of player personnel, is pretty much on the same page with Taylor. So drafting a linebacker No. 1 would be out of the box if you look at the last 10 drafts or so with Tobin running the room.  .  .  They sure need one, but they also need both kinds of tackles and I think one of the first-round principles in this draft room has been size. Good big guys (certainly long rangy corners) are the rarest of players. Keep me down for tackle. They went for speed once with John Ross and they’re still trying to find a place for him, although I think he’ll be a big-time contributor in the new offense."

Answer #8...…... (Should we sign Tre Flowers?)...…."I don’t know if there’s enough for him and A.J. Green. I think that’s a principle that’s going to hold. The mega money is going to extensions and probably not new deals."

Answer #9...….."You may not be excited about the names that were announced on the offensive staff Thursday, but you should be excited about the proven systems they helped make successful. Callahan, offensive line coaches Jim Turner and Ben Martin and tight ends coaches James Casey have worked and played in schemes that produced recent Super Bowl championships in Denver and Green Bay, as well as the Rams’ NFL title from last month. If you ask me, those are great models for a team getting a jump on the 2020s."

Seems like the only propaganda he is spinning is the justification of the coaches that have been hired for Taylors staff.  The rest of it looks like straightforward honest answers to me.

So which part did you think was nonsense?

I think those getting upset about the spin are those that expected/hoped the team would change its mindset on free agency now that Marvin's gone, but it sounds like it hasn't. I think people wanted to hear that the Bengals would start going for top-tier FAs rather than reserve their money for extensions.

Personally, I'm not surprised, as this is the same FO as when Marvin was here. Expect guys who have connections to the coach(es) in some way and/or those who are considered more B-tier players to plug in as short-term starters until draft picks come (along).
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Hobson still spinning the same old crap - ochocincos - 02-11-2019, 01:56 PM