Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Shouldn't do this - but Im going to
(03-05-2019, 11:40 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Carson Palmer gave his scouting report of Josh Rosen last year from OTAs...

https://cardswire.usatoday.com/2018/05/24/carson-palmer-gives-his-scouting-report-of-josh-rosen/

So it pretty much boils down to Rosen being a really good NFL QB as long as he can stay upright, that's at least what Carson Palmer and many other scouts/analysts think of him.

Also, what will be better overall, A) Dalton, or B) Rosen + $10-15 mill put toward other players? Because one has to assume that if Rosen is acquired, Dalton won't be sticking around longer than maybe a year. Therefore, Dalton's saved cap can be put towards other players (theoretically).

I struggle when looking at Rosen seeing where that same team for the most part was the year before he got there (8-8) and where they were with him at the helm (3-13). They flat out were worse with Rosen then the Palmer, Gabbert, Stanton led Cardinals the previous season who by the way were without all world HB David Johnson. That concerns me to an extent, and while I get he was a rookie some of the excuses made for his horrible play weren't made for those QB's the year before. 

Of the three QB's listed from the previous year, only Gabbert took sacks at a rate higher than Rosen. It wasn't because Rosen was letting deeper routes develop either because he was last in yards per completion. The weapons from pre Rosen to the Rosen year actually improved as Kirk showed promise and as I mentioned Johnson was back even if not healthy. My issue with him is he doesn't sense pressure well and he takes a long time to read defenses. Now those things can improve, but at this point he is closer to Blaine Gabbert who was also drafted with the 10th pick overall than a top QB.

Can he be good, sure he could still develop. The reality though is plenty of top picks at QB haven't worked out in recent years. When you look at his rookie year it ranks towards the bottom more so than a lot of the guys we now call bust. Everyone wants to point to Goff, but there are plenty of other guys who had better rookie years than Rosen who never panned out. Odds aren't in his favor right now.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: I Shouldn't do this - but Im going to - Au165 - 03-05-2019, 12:03 PM