Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Don't get hopes up for big FA moves..
(03-11-2019, 10:33 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: You and I have discussed this many times over the years. I think you agree, we never said every year go sign a big name FA, but don't rule it out once in a while when it makes sense. I think a 25 year old like Mosely signed to a 5 or 6 year deal to anchor or LB corps for a very long time makes sense, he is worth the cash and with long term deal can structure the cap hit over a long period making it easier to manage. I think the Ravens want him, but they can't afford him because of the poor Flacco contract.

The secondary and others are important also, but it seems we bargain shop and it never works out for us. Could you imagine Mosely and if we got White in the draft? We cut Burfict to pay for White and we are golden at LB for 5 years barring major injuries.

Yep. Unfortunately, the free agent debate ends up getting summarized as either:

1 ) Free agency is bad - Look at the Redskins.
2 ) Spend, Spend, Spend.

I think a lot of us want the Bengals to be somewhere in the middle. The draft has too many variables. IF your 1st Round pick was a quality starter every time, then that's one thing. But they aren't. And lower rounds are even lower percentage hits...so you have to sign free agents.

We absolutely could afford a $10 million guy if we wanted. A guy like LJ Fort upgrades us for probably $3 million a year. Hicks for $7 million is good too. Different ways. Plus, we can waive Burfict.

The absolute worst thing would be doing nothing at LB.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Don't get hopes up for big FA moves.. - THE PISTONS - 03-11-2019, 10:36 AM