Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can we just take a step back and look at the roster?
(03-15-2019, 02:05 PM)lone bengal Wrote: I definitely don’t think the Bengals are bad as people say.  The offense has good skill positions but if you cant win the line of scrimmage it dosen’t matter. I still have no confidence in Hart, Glenn has been hurt the last 3 seasons and looked average at best when playing, Boling is on the decline and the Jury is still out on Price. Do like the Miller signing tho. Factor in this line has to block guys like Oliver, Richardson and Garrett from Cleveland. The big picture thing for me is the QB who is going into his 10th season. Quarterback is the most important position in the league and when you get into big games in the playoffs your facing guys like Brady and Mahomes who are studs and can elevate those around them. Not saying Andy is terrible but he’s above average at best and needs a complete team around him like 2015 for us to maybe have a chance at winning it all.

Is QB the most important position or is this a myth created by many? Sure the position is extremely important but most important? Let me just offer up some examples that would challenge this theory.

What about Trent Dilfer winning the Super Bowl in 2001? Not to mention the Ravens started that season with Tony Banks as the starter and Dilfer as the backup. Not the most fear inspiring tandem of QBs that I could think of. Just think as well that the Ravens played that game against the New York Giants whom had Kerry Collins manning the helm. 

You look at the above scenario and then look at a guy like Dan Marino who does not own a Super Bowl victory.

Think of 1990 when Jeff Hostetler beat Hall of Famer Jim Kelly. 1991 when Mark Rypien beat Hall of Famer Jim Kelly.

The 2002 matchup of Brad Johnson and Rich Gannon. No Jake Delhomme did not win a Super Bowl but he got Carolina there in 2003. Same thing in 2006 when Rex Grossman got the Bears there.

Unfortunately the Tom Bradys, Peyton Mannings, and Ben Roethlisbergers do not come around very often. So maybe having a great O line and supporting cast could be just as important as a single player?

Just my thoughts for what they are worth.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Can we just take a step back and look at the roster? - OSUfan - 03-17-2019, 09:51 AM